1858 Canadian cents

Old January 31st 05, 07:22 PM
A_Canadian

Default 1858 Canadian cents

Just attended my first coin show and acquired the following:
1858, 59 (Late Narrow Date) and 1876 cents.
1858, 1942, 43 5 cents.

I didn't expect to be able to afford both the 1858 cents, but was happy to
see that the prices where very reasonable.

Learned a lot on site and purchased a good reference book. A 1858 20
cents was available but at 400$, beyond my budget.

There was a discussion about the Mintstate mentality in coin collecting
and how it's a minority of collectors going after these coins. But wouldn't
a collector slowly trade up collection pieces to more a more higher grades?
Surely there are collectors, as myself, that would be very happy to start
collecting US coins in the VG grades, that may be overstock duplicates for
more experienced collectors.

I will surely trade up my pieces to better grades sometime in the future
when some series are completed. I had the chance to be given a AU 1967
canadian cent and it just stands out in the binder page among the other dark
VG cents. Would'nt it be nice if the entire series was AU? Or maybe MS...
Just a thought.

Old February 1st 05, 02:38 AM
R. Carvish

How much did you pay for the 1858 cent? I managed to get my G for about
40.00 (I think) in 1997. I have the 5 cent coin too, but can't remember
how much I paid... Varieties of 1859 are lost on me, I've got two of them,
but neither cost me over 10.00 in VG/F grade.

I do remember once finding a cleaned 1859 for a quarter in a bargain bin,
it was one of my first large cent acquisitions when I was 14. I traded it
away for a better, not cleaned coin when I got older (and wiser).

Old February 1st 05, 02:40 PM
A_Canadian

"R. Carvish" writes:

How much did you pay for the 1858 cent? I managed to get my G for about
40.00 (I think) in 1997. I have the 5 cent coin too, but can't remember
how much I paid... Varieties of 1859 are lost on me, I've got two of them,
but neither cost me over 10.00 in VG/F grade.

I do remember once finding a cleaned 1859 for a quarter in a bargain bin,
it was one of my first large cent acquisitions when I was 14. I traded it
away for a better, not cleaned coin when I got older (and wiser).

1858 VG-8 75$Can (60$US)
1859 NarrowDate G-6, 5$Can (4$US)
1858 5Cents VG 40$Can (32$US)

I removed the price tags on the flips because I want the coin to take
center stage. I'm considering removing the grade as well, as it's only
someone's opinion. But I need to research the safetest way to switch a coin
from one flip to another (gloves, no breathing on the coin, etc...). I got
the ordinary flips from a local dealer, he tells me that this is a safe way
to store coins. I think I heard of a better kind of flip somewhere. My
goal is to have a binder with the coins in individual flips with only the
date, domination and variety information. No price, no grade.

Old February 1st 05, 03:10 PM
James Higby

If you are concerned about long-term storage, the Saflip is the best, albeit
expensive. They will cost $12-$17 U.S. a box of 100, depending on where you
get them. As far as handling the coins, unless you're handling high grade,
expensive coins, taking care to touch the coins by the edges only is
considered the standard way. You're not going to cause any damage to coins
that are well-circulated, even if you thumb the surfaces, but handling coins
by the edges only is a good habit to acquire, as you may be asked to pick up
somebody else's coin one day.

James