NGC MS69 86 thru 05 Silver Eagle Set

Old January 31st 05, 08:08 AM
WJW

Default NGC MS69 86 thru 05 Silver Eagle Set

I see alot of complete NGC MS69 86 thru 05 Silver Eagle Sets. Is it
better to build a set on my own or just look for the best price on a
set. I have seen some variance on prices for MS69 coins, maybe I can
get lucky and assemble one cheaper.

Old January 31st 05, 11:40 AM
linxlvr

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:08:20 -0800, WJW wrote:

I see alot of complete NGC MS69 86 thru 05 Silver Eagle Sets. Is it
better to build a set on my own or just look for the best price on a
set. I have seen some variance on prices for MS69 coins, maybe I can
get lucky and assemble one cheaper.

IMHO!!!!
YMMV!!!

I wouldn't pay for the slabs for MS69 SAE's. If you go to a decent dealer
you should be able to hand select pieces that look as good for a
fraction of the cost. If you have money to burn, and feel you need to
invest in slabbed SAE's, get MS70's.

MS69's are the REJECTS when large dealers send in large quantities in
hopes of MS70's. Think I'm crazy? Seen an MS68 set offered anywhere?

-- DW

Old January 31st 05, 05:10 PM
Bob Flaminio

WJW wrote:
I see alot of complete NGC MS69 86 thru 05 Silver Eagle Sets. Is it
better to build a set on my own or just look for the best price on a
set. I have seen some variance on prices for MS69 coins, maybe I can
get lucky and assemble one cheaper.

I have to agree somewhat with linxlvr. NGC MS69s are basically rejects.
Thanks to S@H, there is a practically unlimited supply of NGC MS69
Silver Eagles out there -- well more than the number of collectors. If
you want them all at once, there's always a number of complete sets
available on eBay. But you could probably do it cheaper if you have the
time and patience -- watch the closing auctions and see what the low
bids are coming in at. If you keep sniping at the low bid, eventually
you'll win it, and ultimately have the complete set.

Now, if you want a bigger challenge, either go for the MS70s in NGC, or
MS69s in PCGS. Or, if you want a brutally bigger challenge, try for
MS69s in ANACS. Good luck on getting a 1987, tho' -- the pop on that is
*1*, and I own it ;-).

--
Bob

Old January 31st 05, 06:21 PM
WJW

It makes sense if you look at the population reports. The SAEs really
jump up in price from MS69 to MS70. The nature of the beast, I guess.

Old January 31st 05, 11:40 PM
WJW

Bob, What in your opinion is the best grader overall. I have seen very
few negative comments on NGC. I see higher prices with PCGS, but with
PCGS I have seen some articles on dubious methods of business.

Old February 1st 05, 02:43 AM
Bob Flaminio

WJW wrote:
Bob, What in your opinion is the best grader overall.

Unfortunately, on the advice of my attorney I must decline to answer
this question.

I have seen very
few negative comments on NGC. I see higher prices with PCGS, but with
PCGS I have seen some articles on dubious methods of business.

In my opinion NGC is too loose with modern NCLT (bullion and commems)
but is pretty good otherwise. PCGS is the brand leader, and therefore
can garner higher prices, but in fact do not grade particularly "better"
than NGC, ANACS, or ICG for most series.

--
Bob

Old February 1st 05, 01:56 PM
Jerry Dennis

Throw me into the mix, here. I checked ebay's completed auctions before the
release of the 2005s, and NGC MS-69 sets were selling for an average of $600.
With the 2005s, they may go up as much as another $50.

According to the NGC pop report, there's a possibility of 16 MS-70 sets, the
1988 being the limiting factor:

http://ngccoin.com/poplookup/poplook...PopSubCatID=76

And I agree with Bob that S@H has killed the Registry sets on MS-69 Silver
Eagle sets. And, of course, they're overpriced at $949.59 for the 1986-2005
set.

Chances are that getting them individually would be the cheaper way to go if
you've got the time and patience for it.

Jerry