SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

Old June 15th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

Default SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

"oly" wrote in message
On Jun 14, 3:53 pm, "jack" wrote:
"MKW" wrote in message

Gold Buffalo $50 - that's a much better option. Not a super
numismatic item, but it has much greater liquidity - note that the
seller of the Central America abomination has probably had their
pieces on hand, unsold, for four or five years now.

Afew years ago 350 of the 2.5 ounce taken were made they are not selling
like hot cakes.
Monaco might send me on on approval since i bought two other gold offerings
from them.
I've always liked the $50 buffalo and finally decided to buy one.

Old June 15th 09, 05:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Which can probably be found for a good price on Ebay. Or a high grade
UH1 High Relief Double-Eagle.

On Jun 14, 4:53*pm, "jack" wrote:

I decided if I can't see the token before purchase I'll next buy a high
grade $50 buffalo coin.

Jack

Old June 15th 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Is Monaco somewhat like Asset Marketing? Also known as Preferred
Customer Service, GovMint, First Federal Mint, etc etc.
Old June 15th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Liquidity should not be a primary issue...collect for enjoyment and
appreciation of the piece...not investment. Someone who pays $100,000
to add some obscure half dollar to a series isn't doing so for
investment...its because they want that complete set more than
anything.

Old June 16th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Johnny Doe

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:56:07 -0700 (PDT), MKW
wrote:

Liquidity should not be a primary issue...collect for enjoyment and
appreciation of the piece...not investment. Someone who pays $100,000
to add some obscure half dollar to a series isn't doing so for
investment...its because they want that complete set more than
anything.

Sure wish I had your money...

Unless you are wealthy above and beyond your 'collections', liquidity
is ALWAYS a concern for a thoughtful collector of expensive items.
Old June 16th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_5_]

jack wrote:
Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) for $2,800.00 melt price
around $3,400.00.
Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
Commemorative”
does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-ne...commemorative/

Thanks,

I just called them and they want $7950.00 for one......Not in my budget...

George

--
Government is a voracious monster that must have your labor to control
YOU! Your money is your liberty. The taxes you pay gently enslave you,
Old June 16th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_7_]

"George D" wrote in message
jack wrote:
Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) for $2,800.00 melt
price around $3,400.00.
Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
Commemorative”
does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-ne...commemorative/

Thanks,

I just called them and they want $7950.00 for one......Not in my
budget...

Well, it's been my experience that asking and getting are two different
things.

Old June 17th 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-ne...ing-the-ss-cen...

Thanks,

I just called them and they want $7950.00 for one......Not in my budget....

George

--
Government is a voracious monster that must have your labor to control
YOU! Your money is your liberty. The taxes you pay gently enslave you,
and eventually destroy any human liberty you have. Fear government, pray
for the country.

I hate to be Johnny One-note (well not really), but 5% back of melt
might be overpaying. If you buy and ever wanna resell this pup, you
will learn real fast that is a prime melting pot item.

oly
Old June 17th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_7_]

"oly" wrote in message
I hate to be Johnny One-note (well not really), but 5% back of melt
might be overpaying. If you buy and ever wanna resell this pup, you
will learn real fast that is a prime melting pot item.

I have to agree with my learned colleague.
A piece like this will never be worth more than its bullion value.
A dealer would probably not even pay you full bullion value for it.
Krugerands remain the best value in gold, not contrived crap like this.