SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

Old June 13th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Default SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

I would say if you like it, get it. Ron Landis is an exceptional die-
maker. The piece is a work of art. Don't buy it for an investment
just buy it for the craftsmanship. Gold jewelry and Rolex watches are
marked up 1000 times over melt. Why should minted collectibles be
given away for melt value?

On Jun 12, 9:01*pm, "jack" wrote:

Good points. *I made a mistake the melt price is only about $2,400.00 not
$3,400.00.
It's a gold token, not coated, I know the company and I know the company,
odessey marine,
that found it but I think it's selling for way too much.

Old June 13th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

They produced reproductions of historic coins using the same metal
content and minting techniques that were used for the original coins,
such as with a screw press. Ron Landis ran the Gallery Mint.

A lot of coin collectors, many who post here like to degrade anything
thats not a US Coin. There are tons of beautifully minted products
from private companies...many firms spend a lot to develop the dies
etc. There is also a bunch of junk out there too. You pay for
quality. Collecting shouldnt be for investment!

On Jun 12, 9:06*pm, "jack" wrote:

what was gallery mint?

Old June 13th 09, 07:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 12, 9:01*pm, "jack" wrote:

Good points. *I made a mistake the melt price is only about $2,400.00 not
$3,400.00.
It's a gold token, not coated, I know the company and I know the company,
odessey marine,
that found it but I think it's selling for way too much.- Hide quoted text -

It's NOT a collectible. In fact, valuable gold artifacts were
destroyed to create this abomination.

oly
Old June 13th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Anything thats collected is a collectible. The sculpting and
engraving resembles the original, Ron Landis ran the Gallery Mint
Museum...they know a thing or two about reproductions. Not everyone
collects exclusively used old US coins. Or one can just by the
original for $100,000 yeah right.

I am sure the gold that was melted was common enough so that some can
be preserved. Its like the silver recovered from the World Trade
Center. There was a lot to go around.

On Jun 13, 2:47*am, oly wrote:
It's NOT a collectible. In fact, valuable gold artifacts were
destroyed to create this abomination.

oly- Hide quoted text -

Old June 13th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 13, 2:47*am, oly wrote:

It's NOT a collectible. In fact, valuable gold artifacts were
destroyed to create this abomination.

oly- Hide quoted text -

It's funny, just yesterday I received an ebay package with several
medals from the French Mint. Indeed, not everybody collects U.S.
Coins.

But, this Central America POS that Monaco Financial wants to sell is
modern commercial ripoff. Gold bars from the Central America were
destroyed to create it. If somebody wanted a Gold rush era artifact,
these aren't (indeed, once the gold is melted, how can you tell that
the gold wasn't recently minted, as opposed to coming from the
wreck?). But an "S" mint $20 Liberty from that era isn't impossible
to afford, and would be a much better choice to use one's money for.

The old hippies from the "Gallery Mint" are (and in some instances,
were) most dubious characters. Misguided talent. This Central
America knockoff is just one more example. They were lucky somebody
apparently had some money in a trust fund.

oly
Old June 14th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Apparantly you have something personal against commercial enterprises
which is fine. But the Gallery Mint museum made a nice product and
the comments were uncalled for. I assume you find displeasure with
some of the US Mints questionable tactics and customer service issues
as well.

Old June 14th 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Its really not a rip off. Go to any jewelry store and look at
anything..or a Rolex..all of which are fine pieces, but compare melt
value to selling price. Companies do not exist to give stuff away at
cost, with anything more being a rip off. The tooling and development
for that replica alone cost more than $15000.

Old June 14th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

"MKW" wrote in message
They produced reproductions of historic coins using the same metal
content and minting techniques that were used for the original coins,
such as with a screw press. Ron Landis ran the Gallery Mint.

A lot of coin collectors, many who post here like to degrade anything
thats not a US Coin. There are tons of beautifully minted products
from private companies...many firms spend a lot to develop the dies
etc. There is also a bunch of junk out there too. You pay for
quality. Collecting shouldnt be for investment!

On Jun 12, 9:06 pm, "jack" wrote:

At a cost of $2,800.00 I'd like to see one before purchase. The hand done
scroll work on the reverse of the coin is amazing.
I decided if I can't see the token before purchase I'll next buy a high
grade $50 buffalo coin.

Jack

Old June 14th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

"MKW" wrote in message
I would say if you like it, get it. Ron Landis is an exceptional die-
maker. The piece is a work of art. Don't buy it for an investment
just buy it for the craftsmanship. Gold jewelry and Rolex watches are
marked up 1000 times over melt. Why should minted collectibles be
given away for melt value?

Good points. Thanks for the reminder.

Old June 14th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 12, 9:06 pm, "jack" wrote:

At a cost of $2,800.00 I'd like to see one before purchase. *The hand done
scroll work on the reverse of the coin is amazing.
I decided if I can't see the token before purchase I'll next buy a high
grade $50 buffalo coin.

Jack

Gold Buffalo $50 - that's a much better option. Not a super
numismatic item, but it has much greater liquidity - note that the
seller of the Central America abomination has probably had their
pieces on hand, unsold, for four or five years now.

oly