OT Ebay does not like netscape

Old October 21st 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D

Default OT Ebay does not like netscape

This message now appearers on the log in screen and various other pages.

Message from eBay
To effectively use eBay, we recommend upgrading your Web browser. Benefits of upgrading
include the use of the latest security updates and support of interactive Web features.

The are suggesting IE and Thunderbird. Are they now controlling what you use for browsing
the net and how soon will they require use of selected browsers?

--
Those who would give up ESSENTIAL LIBERTY to purchase a little TEMPORARY SAFETY, deserve
neither LIBERTY nor SAFETY.

Pennsylvania Assembly
November 11, 1755
Old October 21st 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:05:25 GMT, George D wrote:
This message now appearers on the log in screen and various other pages.

Message from eBay
To effectively use eBay, we recommend upgrading your Web browser. Benefits of upgrading
include the use of the latest security updates and support of interactive Web features.

Well, what version of netscape are you using? It's quite likely that
you can't support higher encryption levels if it's version, what, 6 or
older?

If you visit http://getfirefoxnow.com you can download the current
version of Firefox which, more or less, is the direct descendant of
Netscape. Netscape development stopped for all practical purposes,
years ago, that same browser is spelled "firefox" for the last several
years.

The are suggesting IE and Thunderbird. Are they now controlling what you use for browsing
the net and how soon will they require use of selected browsers?

There's lots of reasons to upgrade from an old version of Netscape to
Firefox. No reason at all to use IE.

Old October 21st 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Hairgrove

wrote:

This message now appearers on the log in screen and various other pages.

Message from eBay
To effectively use eBay, we recommend upgrading your Web browser. Benefits of upgrading
include the use of the latest security updates and support of interactive Web features.

The are suggesting IE and Thunderbird. Are they now controlling what you use for browsing
the net and how soon will they require use of selected browsers?

I use Netscape 7.2 and haven't seen this yet. Are you using an
up-to-date version of Netscape?

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old October 21st 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article , Dave Hinz
wrote:

[...]

From the eBay Announcements Board 10/19/06:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200610....06-10-19095331
and scroll down to the "eBay Browser Support Changes Coming" message ...

# In keeping with overall industry trends, we're going to adopt new
# web browser support guidelines for the new features that we develop.
# For the Community, this means that after November 1st, members using
# certain outdated versions of browsers, or browsers with very low
# adoption rates, may experience site issues or errors as we introduce
# new features or make other site changes. (Read our Web Browser
# Recommendations for Using eBay Help page to see a list of browsers
# and versions we recommend.)

The specific recommendations are at
http://pages.ebay.com/help/newtoebay...sPageName=CMDV
:AB

FWIW, Nutscrape at any rev level does not show up on the list ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old October 21st 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Capri

Netscape is not going to be around a whole lot longer anyway. if you
don't want to use Explorer, get Firefox, its the best browser available
now and free.

Old October 21st 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

I am using Netscape 8.1.2 and I guess I will have to go to firefox. I am downloading it
now. They also acknowledge this in their message.

Old October 21st 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D

George D wrote:
This message now appearers on the log in screen and various other pages.

Message from eBay
To effectively use eBay, we recommend upgrading your Web browser. Benefits of upgrading
include the use of the latest security updates and support of interactive Web features.

The are suggesting IE and Thunderbird. Are they now controlling what you use for browsing
the net and how soon will they require use of selected browsers?

--
Those who would give up ESSENTIAL LIBERTY to purchase a little TEMPORARY SAFETY, deserve
neither LIBERTY nor SAFETY.

Pennsylvania Assembly
November 11, 1755

Downloading it now.

Old October 22nd 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D

George D wrote:
This message now appearers on the log in screen and various other pages.

Message from eBay
To effectively use eBay, we recommend upgrading your Web browser.
Benefits of upgrading include the use of the latest security updates and
support of interactive Web features.

The are suggesting IE and Thunderbird. Are they now controlling what you
use for browsing the net and how soon will they require use of selected
browsers?

Thanks for the input. Firefox was easy to import and start using.

George