Anyone find coins for sale in pawn shops?

Old May 16th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Anyone find coins for sale in pawn shops?

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:15:54 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
. ..
On 15 May 2006 08:16:50 -0700, "Randy Thompson"
wrote:

Pete,

How far is the typical commute to work in the UK?

True disatance does become a factor, mine is about 141 miles one way,
but I think (don't quote me on this) that the average is about 50ish
miles one way. (don't get me started on the M25)

I spent a little time in Scotland about twenty years ago and everything
seemed
to be
much closer than over here. If I needed to go far I just took a train.

I prefer using the train, but because I go to different areas, it is
not always feasable

I commute about 27 miles one way to work. I know some people go a lot
further than that and many less. I ride my motorcycle whenever the
weather permits. It saves me a little over a gallon a day from driving
my car and almost two gallons over driving the truck. I don't think I
could handle 54 miles a day on a horse.

How about horse and chariot

You'd still probably have to pay £8 per day to trot into downtown London. At
least you don't have to feed a car when it's not in use.

Bruce

As long as I dont have to attach a number plate to the horse, I
should be ok

Pete

I thought just about everything had to be registered nowadays-- even chariots.
Heaven forbid if you picked up a passenger and then got hit with an additional
hack tariff. And of course there's that manure deposit fee..............

Bruce
'nobody wins anymore'

Old May 16th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:51:25 -0400, Reclining Buddha wrote:

Yeah, A few verses from a Marty Robbins song might do the trick :-)

Dale

"Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican Girl.
Night-time would find me in a Pawn-Shop Cantina;
Music would play and Felina would whirl."

Sounds Muy Bueno!

Yeah, but remember how that song turns out!

take care,
Scott
Old May 16th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"e" wrote in message
. ..
In article tX6ag.1390$Go6.804@trnddc04, anti-spam wrote:

Peter Smith wrote:
In the UK it is the equivilant of $8.48 a Gallon ($1.82 a Litre)
Mind you about two thirds of that goes to the government in Tax

Which monies are then used to provide a far better (universal) health
care system than the US has, as well as retirement for everyone.

well, universal, anyway.
but be prepared for long waits and suffering if you're not
critical care or somebody important's buddy.
a year for a cat scan, 6 mos for xrays and you don't really
need new glasses, do you?
(my brit punker buddies give me all the dirt on the pale and
beyond.)
and not every hospital has all services. you may travel many
miles for certain care.
i'm not saying you can't get excellent care, but it isn't a
utopia like sweden or some of those countries.....

I know a canadian fella who ran to the emergency room in Windsor when he
stuck a pencil in is hand!
Like do you really need to see a doc for a pencil stab wound? Jeez ever hear
of Band-Aids?
;-)

Old May 16th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Peter Smith wrote:
[...]

My one experience with the Canadian health care system was actually
quite good.

I managed to run a piece of shower grout under one fingernail, and
went to a nearby clinic. Got an exam (they couldn't pull it out, and
the doctor figured it would fall out as the nail grew faster than the
nail would heal if they took it off), and fixed me up with a round of
antibiotics. About 90 mintes from the first profanity to the first
dose of antibiotic.

So far, I've never needed medical treatment in the UK that couldn't
be handled by OTC stuff at Boots.

take care,
Scott

Old May 16th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
On 15 May 2006 06:48:03 -0700, "stonej"
wrote:

Snip

As gas prices sprint back up to around $3 a gallon, A-Able Pawn
manager Jose Mejias says more middle-class customers are frequenting
his shop, pawning everything from jewelry and TV sets to their
children's Xboxes.

"They come here and say, `I don't have money to fill the gas tank and
pay all the bills,'" Mejias said.

In the UK it is the equivilant of $8.48 a Gallon ($1.82 a Litre) and
some of the more rural areas it is even more.

Mind you about two thirds of that goes to the government in Tax

Pete "I'm buying a horse"

My wife has a horse but it's impractical for long journeys.

I live in oil rich Scotland where a litre of petrol is now very close to £1,
at 29 mpg it costs me 16p to drive one mile, fortunately I only cover about
8,000 miles a year bit that's still £1,280 a year for fuel. Billy

Old May 16th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Randy Thompson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Pete,

How far is the typical commute to work in the UK? I spent a little
time in Scotland about twenty years ago and everything seemed to be
much closer than over here. If I needed to go far I just took a train.

I commute about 27 miles one way to work. I know some people go a lot
further than that and many less. I ride my motorcycle whenever the
weather permits. It saves me a little over a gallon a day from driving
my car and almost two gallons over driving the truck. I don't think I
could handle 54 miles a day on a horse.

I would think that the average commute in Scotland will be 30 to 40 miles
daily round trip.

In my last job I drove 1,000,000 miles in 20 years, 50,000 a year. I'm glad
I wasn't paying for the petrol. Billy

Old May 17th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 15 May 2006 06:48:03 -0700, "stonej"
wrote:

I can't imagine anything really valuable showing up, most likely
partially filled Whitman
folders, proof sets etc.

Pawnshops cash in on rising gas costs

By Liam Ford, Tribune staff reporter.

Lugging his DVD player, George Kelly went to the A-Able Pawn Shop in
Waukegan for one simple reason:

---snip---

This caught my eye. I live right next to Waukegan,,,, hear Able Pawn
shops commercials on the radio all the time. Never been in there
though.

-- Ron K
Old May 29th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
Kelly, who was trying to get a $150 loan during his recent visit,
figures he spends about $100 a week on gasoline for his four-cylinder
car.

Am I the only one who thinks $100 a week for gas for a 4 banger is a bit
high? I spend about $40 a month in a 6 cylinder. Maybe he needs to give up
cruising every night of the week. ??

Jonathan_ATC

Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 2 January 31st 04 09:29 PM
Hats Off To RCC Members! Larry Louks Coins 34 October 9th 03 03:13 AM
US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM