HELP!!! I think I am way confused!

Old May 28th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default HELP!!! I think I am way confused!

Please look at this coin and tell me if the reverse is not a 1921
reverse??!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1879-S-Morgan-Do...cm dZViewItem

If you can let me know your thought as it ends soon..

Thanks,

your friend in coins,

Rick

Old May 28th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"BigDog" wrote in message
ups.com...
Please look at this coin and tell me if the reverse is not a 1921
reverse??!!

I'm not enough of an expert to answer that question, but the "private"
auction and excessive hype in the listing convince me that the seller is
trying hard to hide something, or at least distract me from something.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 28th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"BigDog" wrote in
ups.com:

Please look at this coin and tell me if the reverse is not a 1921
reverse??!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1879-S-Morgan-Do...-78-DMPL_W0QQi
temZ8423150685QQcategoryZ39466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you can let me know your thought as it ends soon..

Thanks,

your friend in coins,

Rick

It is the 1878 B2 reverse with parallel arrow feathers. Some 78 Brev dies
were used in 79 at the San Francisco mint. Most 79S were struck with the
C reverse, easily distinguished by the slanted arrow feathers. The D
reverse used in '21 also has the parallel arrow feathers.

HTH,
Mark

Old May 28th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

BigDog wrote:
Please look at this coin and tell me if the reverse is not a 1921
reverse??!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1879-S-Morgan-Do...cm dZViewItem

It is the later reverse of 1878. It looks like a nice coin. I don't
know about MS65. I can't see the surfaces well enough to tell if the
fields are original. If they are, I wouldn't mind wagering MS64 money
on the coin. It is a nice find.

Anita

Old May 29th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

BigDog wrote:
Please look at this coin and tell me if the reverse is not a 1921
reverse??!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1879-S-Morgan-Do...cm dZViewItem

I see that the auction ended with the reserve not met. I have a feeling
that if the coin had been in a good slab or if there had been better
pictures it would have sold well. It looked like a very nice coin.
Maybe we'll be seeing it again. I hope that we get better pictures next
time.

Anita