GD's at the Post Office

Old February 10th 04, 12:57 AM
Richard L. Hall

Default GD's at the Post Office

Not! I went to the Post Office to buy some Love stamps for some Valentines
and put a $20 bill in the machine and got 5 stamps and 18 1999-D SBA's all
looking new. Not a single golden dollar.

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949

Dating Coins from the reverse:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...erse_Dated.htm

Minor Errors: http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Errors//Errors.htm
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...s//Errors2.htm

Large and Small Date Lincolns:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...mall_Dates.htm

Viewing the 3's on Lincolns
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Comparison3's.htm
RCC FAQ:
http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins/faq2.html

Old February 10th 04, 02:50 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:57:51 GMT, Richard L. Hall
wrote:

Not! I went to the Post Office to buy some Love stamps for some
Valentines
and put a $20 bill in the machine and got 5 stamps and 18 1999-D SBA's
all
looking new. Not a single golden dollar.

Are you sick of everyone saying,"Been to the post office eh?" when you go
and spend them?

Old February 10th 04, 03:31 PM
Paul Anderson

wrote:

Not! I went to the Post Office to buy some Love stamps for some
Valentines and put a $20 bill in the machine and got 5 stamps and
18 1999-D SBA's all looking new. Not a single golden dollar.

Man, I'd need some therapy if that happened to me. Ugh!

Are you sick of everyone saying,"Been to the post office eh?" when
you go and spend them?

Yup. Or "been on the MBTA"? (The MBTA runs the subways and commuter
trains near Boston.)

A car wash I go by has put in two new automated bays that accept dollar
coins. The machine clearly says to insert "QUARTERS OR DOLLAR COINS".
You can put in bills, too, so next time I go I'll see if putting in a
$10 bill for a $7 wash returns dollar coins.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old February 10th 04, 09:29 PM
Richard L. Hall

news
wrote:

Not! I went to the Post Office to buy some Love stamps for some
Valentines
and put a $20 bill in the machine and got 5 stamps and 18 1999-D SBA's
all
looking new. Not a single golden dollar.

Are you sick of everyone saying,"Been to the post office eh?" when you go
and spend them?

Actually, most people, especially the youngsters at the local Starbucks are
delighted to get them. They want to save them and don't have the foggiest
idea that they can get them at the Post Office until I tell them.

Old February 11th 04, 02:28 PM
Fred Shecter

Could be that when they were turning on the dollar coin rolling machine the hopper ran low
on GDs or commingled GDs and SBAs from circulation and they had to rip open a bag of
uncirculated 1999 SBAs. If that's the case, they will run out of those as well and they
will have to order more dollar coins from the mint. Maybe we'll see 2004 circulation
strikes?

Keep buying and spending them and we will.

-Fred Shecter

hlink.net...

Old February 11th 04, 03:48 PM
Paul Anderson

In article , Fred Shecter
wrote:

Maybe we'll see 2004 circulation strikes?
Keep buying and spending them and we will.

I'd like to think so. Is there a place to find accurate information
about the current inventory of dollar coins and what the drawdown is?
Was it Jim Benfield who used to keep us up-to-date on this information?
From where did he get the information?

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old February 11th 04, 04:50 PM
Fred Shecter

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
In article , Fred Shecter
wrote:

Maybe we'll see 2004 circulation strikes?
Keep buying and spending them and we will.

I'd like to think so. Is there a place to find accurate information
about the current inventory of dollar coins and what the drawdown is?

I don't know.

Was it Jim Benfield who used to keep us up-to-date on this information?

Yes.

From where did he get the information?

I don't know.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

I suggest calling the Mint. If enough folks call, perhaps they will provide that
information or get the Federal Reserve to provide it on a website.

Old February 11th 04, 05:39 PM
Richard L. Hall

"Fred Shecter" wrote in message
Could be that when they were turning on the dollar coin rolling machine

the hopper ran low
on GDs or commingled GDs and SBAs from circulation and they had to rip

open a bag of
uncirculated 1999 SBAs. If that's the case, they will run out of those as

well and they
will have to order more dollar coins from the mint. Maybe we'll see 2004

circulation
strikes?

I'll settle for a 2001-D.

Old February 12th 04, 03:29 PM
Paul Anderson

In article , Paul Anderson
wrote:

A car wash I go by has put in two new automated bays that accept
dollar coins. The machine clearly says to insert "QUARTERS OR DOLLAR
COINS". You can put in bills, too, so next time I go I'll see if
putting in a $10 bill for a $7 wash returns dollar coins.

Gak! I put in a $10 bill for the $7 wash and got twelve quarters back!
Not very convenient.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old February 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Paul Anderson wrote:

Gak! I put in a $10 bill for the $7 wash and got twelve quarters back!
Not very convenient.

Pretty much the same thing can happen with high denomination coins,
though. I was at the airport the other day, went back to the car, wanted
to pay my parking ticket and had to wait for the couple in front of me.
They had to pay ¤4 but for some reason the machine did not accept their
credit or debit card. So the man inserted a ¤50 note and ...

.... got 46 euros in ¤1 and ¤2 coins back. Poor guy g.

Christian

great day at the post office! Celebrity Direct Entertainment - Cord G. Coslor Autographs 0 November 24th 04 01:55 AM
Post Office SBA find -- Richard L. Hall Coins 11 December 28th 03 08:28 PM
it really works Kelsibutt Paper Money 0 September 27th 03 11:16 PM
US post office to cut hours at many rural and small town locations John Stone Coins 3 September 3rd 03 11:54 AM
Carson City Morgan dollars from the Post Office Harlan Messinger Coins 0 August 30th 03 12:31 AM