Man unearths box filled with Depression-era cash

Old June 3rd 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MJKolodziej

Default Man unearths box filled with Depression-era cash

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080602/D911SRFO0.html

Old June 3rd 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wookie

Cool Story

Old June 3rd 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Jun 3, 1:15*am, "Wookie" wrote:
Cool Story

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message

http://apnews.myway.com/article/2008...911SRFO0.html- Hide quoted text -

Kind of a waste.
Old June 3rd 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roßert G. Schaffrath

MJKolodziej wrote:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080602/D911SRFO0.html

What a shame in a way. $1700 was a fortune during the depression and
could have become a nice tidy sum if it had been invested at the start
of WWII. Now inflation has taken its toll. Plus if the notes are
damaged as badly as reported, there isn't even any collector value in them.
Old June 4th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Jun 3, 8:01*am, "Roßert G. Schaffrath"
wrote:
MJKolodziej wrote:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080602/D911SRFO0.html

What a shame in a way. *$1700 was a fortune during the depression and
could have become a nice tidy sum if it had been invested at the start
of WWII. *Now inflation has taken its toll. *Plus if the notes are
damaged as badly as reported, there isn't even any collector value in them..

The value would have been more than face. I mean come on money cut in
to shavens now days, and sold in bags for over face value.
Old June 4th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wookie

Too bad it wasn't $1,700 in silver and gold coins .... now that would have
appreciated quite a lot by 2008 dollars.

Old June 4th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard Adams

On Jun 2, 8:36 pm, "MJKolodziej"
wrote:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080602/D911SRFO0.html

Nice free money, all the same.

I do not collect paper as a hobby, but squirrel away the odd old note
which lands in my hands. I have a ten from 1934 (series C, NY branch)
with quite a few folds, no holes or tears, still pleasant to look at.
I was given it in change for a twenty about ten years ago.
Old June 5th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aladdin Sane

"Richard Adams" wrote in message
On Jun 2, 8:36 pm, "MJKolodziej"
wrote:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080602/D911SRFO0.html

Nice free money, all the same.

I do not collect paper as a hobby, but squirrel away the odd old note
which lands in my hands. I have a ten from 1934 (series C, NY branch)
with quite a few folds, no holes or tears, still pleasant to look at.
I was given it in change for a twenty about ten years ago.

When I was 13, which is back when John Kennedy was still president, I
received a $2 bill as a payment for being a caddy. Cheap *******, for 18
holes should have made twice that. But I liked the bill and tucked it in a
book. Every few years I come across it, now have it in the Bible so I know
where it is. Have had it for 45 years now and every now. Obviously
circulated, but in decent shape. just a momento I guess

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old June 5th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Jun 3, 10:32*pm, Richard Adams wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:36 pm, "MJKolodziej"
wrote:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080602/D911SRFO0.html

Nice free money, all the same.

I do not collect paper as a hobby, but squirrel away the odd old note
which lands in my hands. *I have a ten from 1934 (series C, NY branch)
with quite a few folds, no holes or tears, still pleasant to look at.
I was given it in change for a twenty about ten years ago.

Nice find! I have a friend who works at a local bank, and she holds
any old notes or coins until go by there on fridays. The best note she
has found for me was a 1928 B $10 Federal Reserve Note. Its not a Gold
Certificate, but in the left top corner it say redeemable in gold. I'm
hoping she will find a gold certificate for me.
Old June 5th 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080602/D911SRFO0.html

Nice free money, all the same.

I do not collect paper as a hobby, but squirrel away the odd old note
which lands in my hands. *I have a ten from 1934 (series C, NY branch)
with quite a few folds, no holes or tears, still pleasant to look at.
I was given it in change for a twenty about ten years ago.

Nice find! I have a friend who works at a local bank, and she holds
any old notes or coins until go by there on fridays. The best note she
has found for me was a 1928 B $10 Federal Reserve Note. Its not a Gold
Certificate, but in the left top corner it say redeemable in gold. I'm
hoping she will find a gold certificate for me.

You will need a magnifying glass to see $10 worth of gold, unless it has
been beaten out into a sheet!! ;-)

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :