Clash marks

Old November 7th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mike browder

Default Clash marks

Do clash marks affect the grade or value of a coin?

Old November 8th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

mike browder wrote:
Do clash marks affect the grade or value of a coin?

Yes and yes. All other things being equal, clash marks (or bag marks as
they are more commonly called) will most often detract from both the grade
and value. A coin with bag marks can still have a relatively high grade, but
much of a coins desireablity comes from "eye appeal". Therefore, the value
(relative to similar coins) may be impacted more than the grade.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old November 8th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:31:01 -0800, "Ed Hendricks"
wrote:

mike browder wrote:
Do clash marks affect the grade or value of a coin?

Yes and yes. All other things being equal, clash marks (or bag marks as
they are more commonly called) will most often detract from both the grade
and value. A coin with bag marks can still have a relatively high grade, but
much of a coins desireablity comes from "eye appeal". Therefore, the value
(relative to similar coins) may be impacted more than the grade.

Ed,

I hate to pick nits...

"Clash marks" happen when the dies come together without a planchet
between them, so part of the design is transferred from one die to the
other, and then appears on the struck coin. "Bag marks" happen when
coins contact one another, usually the rim hitting on the field
somewhere...

take care,
Scott

Old November 8th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aram Haroutunian

wrote:

mike browder wrote:
[...]

Nice catch, Scott. If you hadn't said it, I would have. Often, clash

marks
add value to the coin because it can indicate a stage or a state of the die.
Also, there are coins in the seated series and the Flying Eagle Cent series
where different denominated dies show clash marks of different denominated
dies.
e.g. the 1857 FE 1C obverse die clashed with an obverse die of a $20 gold
piece;
another example is the 1857 FE 1C reverse die clashed with a Seated Liberty
Quarter reverse die.
The point is that a die clash is totally different from a bag mark. Several
Morgan Dollar
varieties are "clash marked die" varieties. HTH
Aram.

Old November 8th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mike browder

Thanks for the responses. The coin I have is an 1814 capped bust half
dollar. There's part of a motto (too indistinct to make out exactly what
it says) between the bottom of the bust and the date. On the reverse
there's a thin bar running from the middle edge of the eagle's right
wing to the bottom of the scroll, touching the scroll under the "E" in E
Pluribus Unum.

mike

Old November 8th 06, 08:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"mike browder" describes a nice one in the following:
Thanks for the responses. The coin I have is an 1814 capped bust half
dollar. There's part of a motto (too indistinct to make out exactly what
it says) between the bottom of the bust and the date. On the reverse
there's a thin bar running from the middle edge of the eagle's right
wing to the bottom of the scroll, touching the scroll under the "E" in E
Pluribus Unum.

You've reminded me of one of my favorite halves, Mike.

http://www.freshonmymind.com/1814/1814half.jpg

With some enlargement, you can readily see some of the motto above the date.
Also seen are the outlines of the eagle's wings, liberty's bustline, and the
eagle's feet... When I saw this coin in a shop a few years ago, I heard a
voice say "Take me home with you!" And I did. :-) I love these die clash
examples!

Amistad
'gotta love those bust halves'

Old November 8th 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Bugs Bunny Franklin halves are rather common, I have two years with the
die clash, they command a small premium.

Jim Rose

e wrote:
In article , "Ed Hendricks" wrote:

mike browder wrote:
Do clash marks affect the grade or value of a coin?

Yes and yes. All other things being equal, clash marks (or bag marks as
they are more commonly called) will most often detract from both the grade
and value. A coin with bag marks can still have a relatively high grade, but
much of a coins desireablity comes from "eye appeal". Therefore, the value
(relative to similar coins) may be impacted more than the grade.

unless he means die clash, which i suspect.

Old November 8th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"mike browder" wrote in message
Do clash marks affect the grade or value of a coin?

No and maybe.
If it's commonly known on certain coin types then it doesn't necessarily
increase the value too much. IOW it has to be very dramatic. The more
pronounced it is the more collectible it is.
3CN's are quite common to see die clash for example. With modern coins it's
very rare to find dramatic examples.

Old November 8th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

wrote:

mike browder wrote:
Do clash marks affect the grade or value of a coin?

Yes and yes. All other things being equal, clash marks (or bag
marks as they are more commonly called) will most often detract from
both the grade and value. A coin with bag marks can still have a
relatively high grade, but much of a coins desireablity comes from
"eye appeal". Therefore, the value (relative to similar coins) may
be impacted more than the grade.

Ed,

I hate to pick nits...

"Clash marks" happen when the dies come together without a planchet
between them, so part of the design is transferred from one die to the
other, and then appears on the struck coin. "Bag marks" happen when
coins contact one another, usually the rim hitting on the field
somewhere...

take care,
Scott

I stand humbly corrected. I can only surmise that my mind was so befuddled
with election day gobbledygook that I was temporarily insane. :-)

--
©¿©¬
~

Old November 8th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in
:

I stand humbly corrected. I can only surmise that my mind was so
befuddled with election day gobbledygook that I was temporarily
insane. :-)

Be careful, Ed! If you think about politics too much, you may not be
*temporarily* insane anymore!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Striations on the 1861 1/52nd of a Shilling Harold Fears Coins 3 December 1st 04 06:44 PM
CPK Dolls & Misc Items--- FS Sue from NY General 0 August 28th 03 05:53 PM
CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM