I am confused!

Old November 7th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Farley

Default I am confused!

I just called the US Mint order line and was told that I could order the
3 coin SAE proof set and it would be delivered in Dec. These same sets
are going for an average of about $170.00 on eBay right now. So like the
subject line sez, I am confused!.

Do I sell the ones I got last week and order replacements. And will I
really get the sets from the mint?

I think that I still have some Franklin dollars that are listed as on
backorder at the mint, and I am sure that I am never going to see them.

OT, I am off to see The Rolling Stones! (Hope Mick found his lost voice.
It will be a long show if Keith takes over lead vocals!)

Bruce

Old November 7th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Bruce Farley wrote:
I just called the US Mint order line and was told that I could order
the 3 coin SAE proof set and it would be delivered in Dec. These same
sets are going for an average of about $170.00 on eBay right now. So
like the subject line sez, I am confused!.

Check the discussion under the thread "Please Explain why 3 pc SAE sets
are selling at a premium".

My belief is that it's a combination of ignorance and the desire for
instant gratification. If I buy one from eBay, I'll have it in a few
days. If I buy one from the mint, I have to wait for at least a month.

--
Jim Seymour
Old November 7th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

OR....
These are dealers caught in the order limit, I sold three to one
dealer at $175 each and have seen that dealer bidding subsequent sets
at similar price.
I took the money and ran, unlike the Lewis and Clark C&C sets.

Jim Seymour wrote in news:454FDD61.8040200
@thentao.com:

Old November 7th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Jim Seymour" wrote in message
Bruce Farley wrote:
I just called the US Mint order line and was told that I could order
the 3 coin SAE proof set and it would be delivered in Dec. These same
sets are going for an average of about $170.00 on eBay right now. So
like the subject line sez, I am confused!.

Check the discussion under the thread "Please Explain why 3 pc SAE sets
are selling at a premium".

My belief is that it's a combination of ignorance and the desire for
instant gratification. If I buy one from eBay, I'll have it in a few
days. If I buy one from the mint, I have to wait for at least a month.

Probably right. A little of both, maybe. I just phoned to inquire about
the status of my one order shipped on 30 Oct and they said not to worry, and
to expect delivery in 2-3 weeks. Must go around the world a couple times
before landing. Anyway, with the amazing secondary market demand for these
things, I couldn't help but order a couple more to peg my coin budget. I
can certainly wait until Christmas. I doubt the demand will crash before
then.

Bruce