Holed coins - who wanted those?

Old October 19th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default Holed coins - who wanted those?

On 19 Oct 2006 10:47:09 -0700, "Jud" wrote:

got a little of everything, including an 1831
'tanner'. As I said a few years ago, had a friend
who collected holed coins to nail up on the beams
of his house. He used 2 different colored nails, to
match the copper or silver color of the coins. It
made an interesting display.

What a great idea. I may do it here. Have to figure out the best
place. We don't have beams. What I may do is find a spot on an
appropriate wall for all the coins to be nailed in near one another.
I've got 36 different holed U.S. coin types now that would work for
this, each obtained for under $10. My wife will want me to do this in
our closet behind my clothes. Nyet. If she divorces me as a result,
it's your fault.

Still looking ... if anybody has or sees one ... for a holed Draped
Bust half cent, Coronet half cent (1840-1857), Lincoln Memorial cent,
Jefferson nickel, Trade dollar, and Susan B. Anthony dollar, for under
$10 each. The Trade dollar will be the hardest and may be impossible,
even in AG, for this price. I've had my heart broken about six times
now with holed Draped Bust half cents selling on eBay for just over
$10.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old October 23rd 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On 19 Oct 2006 10:47:09 -0700, "Jud" wrote:

Ian,
got a little of everything, including an 1831
'tanner'. As I said a few years ago, had a friend
who collected holed coins to nail up on the beams
of his house. He used 2 different colored nails, to
match the copper or silver color of the coins. It
made an interesting display.

Here's my idea. I start with my holed Bust half, in the center,
hammering it into the wall. Then I create a spiral around it,
hammering my other old coins in around it. Very cool.

One problem, maybe insurmountable: As with any open coin display in a
house, all it takes is one plumber or electrician or whomever to see
it. He tells his buddy, who tells his buddy about the old coins hung
up on the wall of this house, and they must be very expensive because
they're really, really old. So despite having a home alarm system here
and my other coins in a safe deposit box at the bank, my house gets
broken into.

Old October 24th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bland Allison

in (e) wrote in
:

In article , Reid
Goldsborough wrote:

[...]

mount it on a really beautiful piece of vintage wood from a
house recycling store. they often have odd bits of teak,
boobinga, tiger maple, etc that are reasonable. i little
work and a piece of glass and you have a nice display.

I've been looking for holed Mexican coins. I'd like to do some jewlery
with them but I can't bring myself to drill one, no matter what the
condition.

--

BA
Old October 24th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bland Allison

in (e) wrote in
m:

In article , Bland Allison
wrote:

(e) wrote in
om:

In article , Reid
Goldsborough wrote:

[...]

well, you motivated me to look through my big bag, but
nothing with a hole. where did i get all this mexican
coinage?

I've been all about Mexican coins this year. I started with the Cap and
Ray Pesos. Now I'm taking a break by collecting a set of the Pyramid 20
centavos. I thought that would save me from the high priced silver, but
here's what I was bidding on yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/yaoffv

I know, $75 is not a lot of money to some in the group, but it's a big
chunk out of my collecting budget

--

BA
Old October 25th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:44:21 -0600, Dave Allured
wrote:

Reid, I have a holed Sackie for you. 2000-D, AU58 RB, found recently in
a circ roll from the bank. The hole is about 2 mm wide, drilled above
the lady's head as if for a pendant or bangle. It's the second one like
this that I have found this year.

I received the holed Sackie in the mail today. Thanks for sending it.
It's perfect. g An unholed g ancient Roman bronze, minted by
Constans I c. 337-350 AD, is on the way to you. He was one of
Constantine the Great's sons, and he ruled Italy, Africa, and
Illyricum from 337 to 340 AD plus Spain, Gaul, and Britain from 340 to
350 AD.

Old November 2nd 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured

wrote:

Reid, I have a holed Sackie for you. 2000-D, AU58 RB, found recently in
a circ roll from the bank. The hole is about 2 mm wide, drilled above
the lady's head as if for a pendant or bangle. It's the second one like
this that I have found this year.

I received the holed Sackie in the mail today. Thanks for sending it.
It's perfect. g An unholed g ancient Roman bronze, minted by
Constans I c. 337-350 AD, is on the way to you. He was one of
Constantine the Great's sons, and he ruled Italy, Africa, and
Illyricum from 337 to 340 AD plus Spain, Gaul, and Britain from 340 to
350 AD.

Reid, I received the Constans I bronze on Monday. Nice! F to EF
detail, both sides. Natural brown surfaces, no crud. Fascinating. I
paid a buck for this? Thanks!!

--Dave
Old November 2nd 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 10:00:05 -0700, Dave Allured
wrote:

Reid, I received the Constans I bronze on Monday. Nice! F to EF
detail, both sides. Natural brown surfaces, no crud. Fascinating. I
paid a buck for this? Thanks!!

Hi, Dave. Glad you got it. Here's a secret, but you have to promise
not to tell anyone: Ancient Roman bronze coins are the greatest value
in all of numismatics. So many were minted, and so many survive, that
you can buy a solid problem-free VF coin such as the one I sent you
for ... $3. I buy these to give away to friends, cousins, nephews and
nieces, my mailman, the manager at my bank, and so on. Fun stuff. You
can find this kind of material on eBay, but you have to pay shipping.
The best source I've found are the pick bins of certain ancients
dealers at large national coin shows. You can build a very historical
and very impressive collection just by focusing on these $5 and under
bronzes. It does take more work than with U.S. coins. You have to buy
and read books to attribute them, though online resources can help
here. I don't specialize in late Roman bronzes, focusing more on
ancient Greek coins, but I have put together a little House of
Constantine set:

http://rg.ancients.info/constantine

Old November 3rd 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Model Citizen

wrote:

I don't specialize in late Roman bronzes, focusing more on
ancient Greek coins, but I have put together a little House of
Constantine set:

http://rg.ancients.info/constantine

Reid, Did you pay $5.00 for the AE1 of Julian II you have
? - John

Old November 3rd 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:47:48 -0500, "Model Citizen"
wrote:

Reid, Did you pay $5.00 for the AE1 of Julian II you have?

That one cost me $33. I didn't say all the coins on this page cost $5
and under. As I mentioned on this page the average cost of all the
coins on the page, excluding the first one, was $20 -- some such as
the Julian I were higher, some were lower. That one actually was more
difficult to find relatively affordably. I need to rephotograph it
because it's one of those that looks better in hand than it looks
right now in this photo.

The first one, the FDC, cost $90. It's a very common coin in
absolutely exquisite condition -- superbly struck and preserved -- the
only FDC ancient I have.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

WTT 2003 Baseball Wanted Squire Baseball 0 April 4th 04 04:05 AM
How to select a coin holder -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 January 11th 04 08:03 PM
Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM