Holed coins - who wanted those?

Old October 14th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

Default Holed coins - who wanted those?

Got a holed clad post-1970 half in my last box search. Who is it here
that likes that sort of thing? Send me your snailmail by email please.

Dave Hinz

Old October 15th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On 14 Oct 2006 02:04:54 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Got a holed clad post-1970 half in my last box search. Who is it here
that likes that sort of thing? Send me your snailmail by email please.

As per email, that would be me, and thanks again for posting this. I
thought I'd post publicly again my interest in a holed Lincoln
Memorial cent, Jefferson nickel, Susan B. Anthony dollar, and Sac. If
anybody comes across any of these, let me know. I have some earlier
holed material too, but these four are current or recent change I'm
still looking for holed. Got some unholed material too. g The holed
material has to have been holed for a purpose such as jewelry,
keychain, etc., rather than just to deface a piece of pocket change.
You can't always know for sure but you can always ask.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old October 16th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Any interest in non-US holed coins? Got a few here.

Old October 16th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On 15 Oct 2006 21:51:42 -0700, "Jud" wrote:

Any interest in non-US holed coins? Got a few here.

That would be a set: Holed coin from as many countries in the world as
you can find (without drilling the hole yourself -- that's cheating).
Probably be a never-ending project. g Thanks for mentioning this,
but I think I'm going to stick with holed U.S. coins and those
ancients areas I focus on. My kids have little collections of world
coins, and they've used them for school projects. But I haven't gone
the world coins route myself, despite the traveling I've done. Don't
know why. Too big maybe.

Interestingly, I haven't seen many holed ancients, in my areas. I have
just two, a holed Thasos running Satyr trihemiobol from c. 400 BC and
a holed (and broken) Thasos Dionysos/Herakles tetradrachm from c. 100
BC. You see holed coins in collection/attribution catalogs sometimes,
just not many on the market, even in junk/pick bins. Let's see... Of
the 826 ancient Greek coins currently up for auction on eBay, none are
holed. I would have thought that more would have been holed for the
usual reasons -- jewelry, totem hung on a door or wall, button, and so
on.

Old October 16th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ian

Jud wrote:
Any interest in non-US holed coins? Got a few here.

Whatcha got Jud? :-)

Don't discount them as being `valueless' just yet. Some coin types can
be so scarce that if you even find a holed one you are lucky.

Ian
Old October 16th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"Ian" wrote in message
. uk...
Jud wrote:
Any interest in non-US holed coins? Got a few here.

Whatcha got Jud? :-)

Don't discount them as being `valueless' just yet. Some coin types can be
so scarce that if you even find a holed one you are lucky.

Ian

It is my understanding that most "touch pieces" have been holed.
Normally I don't like holed coins but there are some I would certainly make
an exception for :-)
Dale

Old October 19th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On 14 Oct 2006 02:04:54 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Got a holed clad post-1970 half in my last box search. Who is it here
that likes that sort of thing? Send me your snailmail by email please.

As per email, that would be me, and thanks again for posting this. I
thought I'd post publicly again my interest in a holed Lincoln
Memorial cent, Jefferson nickel, Susan B. Anthony dollar, and Sac. If
anybody comes across any of these, let me know. I have some earlier
holed material too, but these four are current or recent change I'm
still looking for holed. Got some unholed material too. g The holed
material has to have been holed for a purpose such as jewelry,
keychain, etc., rather than just to deface a piece of pocket change.
You can't always know for sure but you can always ask.

Email: (delete "remove this")

Reid, I have a holed Sackie for you. 2000-D, AU58 RB, found recently in
a circ roll from the bank. The hole is about 2 mm wide, drilled above
the lady's head as if for a pendant or bangle. It's the second one like
this that I have found this year.

Please send me your mailing address by e-mail. "Remove nospam to
reply".

--Dave
Old October 19th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:44:21 -0600, Dave Allured
wrote:

Reid, I have a holed Sackie for you. 2000-D, AU58 RB, found recently in
a circ roll from the bank. The hole is about 2 mm wide, drilled above
the lady's head as if for a pendant or bangle. It's the second one like
this that I have found this year.

Thanks, Dave! You've got an ancient Roman bronze coin coming your way
if you want.

Old October 19th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured

wrote:

Reid, I have a holed Sackie for you. 2000-D, AU58 RB, found recently in
a circ roll from the bank. The hole is about 2 mm wide, drilled above
the lady's head as if for a pendant or bangle. It's the second one like
this that I have found this year.

Thanks, Dave! You've got an ancient Roman bronze coin coming your way
if you want.

Reid, thanks for the Roman bronze. E-mails exchanged.

--Dave
Old October 19th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Ian,
got a little of everything, including an 1831
'tanner'. As I said a few years ago, had a friend
who collected holed coins to nail up on the beams
of his house. He used 2 different colored nails, to
match the copper or silver color of the coins. It
made an interesting display.

WTT 2003 Baseball Wanted Squire Baseball 0 April 4th 04 04:05 AM
How to select a coin holder -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 January 11th 04 08:03 PM
Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM