unusual coin unusual price

Old July 15th 05, 03:33 AM
joe

Default unusual coin unusual price

not my auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=78 6&rd=1

--
joe

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 15th 05, 03:45 AM
Nick Knight

In , on 07/14/2005
at 07:33 PM, joe said:

not my auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=78 6&rd=1

I'm not an error collector. But I'm going to guess as to what happened.

A nickel was struck but didn't eject from the collar. A new blank loaded on
top, the press stuck the top cleanly (which would be the reverse on top, I
guess), and the bottom picked up the reverse of the coin stuck underneath
it.

I can't imagine it's worth anything near $8k. My guess is 2 magnitudes or
greater downward. But I'll wait to hear what the error collectors have to
say.

Nick
Old July 15th 05, 03:48 AM
Nick Knight

In , on 07/14/2005
at 10:45 PM, "Nick Knight" said:

I can't imagine it's worth anything near $8k.

Ooops. It's $10k!

Nick
Old July 15th 05, 05:23 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:45:01 -0400, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

In , on 07/14/2005
at 07:33 PM, joe said:

not my auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=78 6&rd=1

I'm not an error collector. But I'm going to guess as to what happened.

A nickel was struck but didn't eject from the collar. A new blank loaded on
top, the press stuck the top cleanly (which would be the reverse on top, I
guess), and the bottom picked up the reverse of the coin stuck underneath
it.

Pretty darn close. The only issue I would disagree with is that
the obverse is apparently a hammer die. Basically a "normally"
struck coin got wrapped around the die face, making a die cap,
such that its reverse is now the effective hammer die. Then,
within two strikes (guess) the blank which became the present
coin entered the coining chamber, thus getting a normal reverse
strike and an incused reversed reverse impression as the
"obverse." The fact that the coin is not broadstruck suggests it
was in the collar, and thus the reverse die was the anvil die.

I can't imagine it's worth anything near $8k. My guess is 2 magnitudes or
greater downward. But I'll wait to hear what the error collectors have to
say.

I would say $100-200, maybe slightly more. It's a nice coin, and
errors are hot now. Personally I wouldn't want to pay that high,
but I'm realistic.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143
Old July 15th 05, 06:16 AM

I agree with Ed, the originally struck coin was stuck to the upper die,
and this was probably the second coin to be given a "brockage strike"
by it. I'd put it out retail at $200.
Tom DeLorey

Old July 15th 05, 07:26 AM
Jerry Dennis

Ed. Stoebenau wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:45:01 -0400, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

In , on 07/14/2005
at 07:33 PM, joe said:

[...]

I, too, am not an error collector, but the whole thing looks wrong. If
it was locked in the collar when the next planchet was struck, the
reversed reverse would be incused, wouldn't it? The auction picture
doesn't seem incuse.

Jerry

Old July 15th 05, 04:39 PM
Bruce Farley

Oh darn, auction ended. I was going to ask him if he would consider
$5000! And only $18 UPS shipping. UPS is good on big packages like this!
Bruce

Old July 16th 05, 03:19 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

On 14 Jul 2005 23:26:13 -0700, "Jerry Dennis"
wrote:

I, too, am not an error collector, but the whole thing looks wrong. If
it was locked in the collar when the next planchet was struck, the
reversed reverse would be incused, wouldn't it? The auction picture
doesn't seem incuse.

It would be incused, and the seller says it is. I suspect the
appearance of being raised is just an illusion, especially since
a reversed Monticello (the building, not the motto) looks a whole
lot like a normal one.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143
Old July 16th 05, 04:02 AM

You would think that for an initial asking price of $10,000 and a UPS
shipping fee of $17.23 that the seller could have spent a few bucks and
have it graded and slabbed. Of course with a feedback rating of "1" in
two years, I would not venture to guess what he/she is thinking
especially not even putting it in a capsule but having it in a cheap
cardboard holder.

Robert