Please help with British cancellation

Old July 14th 05, 05:13 PM

Default Please help with British cancellation

I am trying to figure out the origin of the cancellations on a pair of
GB KGVI Coronation stamps, dated June 5, 1937. Here are three different
images of the cancellations:

Unmanipulated image:
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/strathavoncancelaweb.jpg

First manipulated image:
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/strathavoncancelbweb.jpg

Second manipulated image:
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/strathavoncancelcweb.jpg

I believe that the county is Kincardineshire, in Scotland. Do you
agree?

I am stumped by the town. I can make out what seems to be "Avon," the
the previous portion of the name is, well, not very clear! I *think* I
can make out "...ER AVON" or perhaps "...OR AVON," but a Google search
for those combinations doesn't turn up a thing. Perhaps someone with
better computer imaging skills than mine can get a better image. I'll
be glad to supply a hi-res bitmap file if someone wants to try.

Bob

Old July 14th 05, 06:06 PM
Rodney

Stonehaven ?

Old July 14th 05, 07:03 PM

You're the second person to suggest Stonehaven. The other one came by
e-mail. That certainly seems to fit. I wouldn't say that Stonehaven
leaps right out of the image, but (now) I can see the "ST" and
"...HAVEN" (almost) plain as day. Thanks for your interest. Does anyone
have any alternate suggestions? (Another person suggested "Strachan,"
but that's too short, and I can't see "...CHAN" at all. Can you?)

Bob

Old July 14th 05, 07:55 PM
Blair (TC)

I agree with Rodnry!

It looks like STONEHAVEN, Kincardineshire.

http://www.auchenblae.net/panstonehaven.htm
http://www.auchenblae.net/stonehaven.htm
http://radio.intco.biz/2ap.htm

Lord Reith (1889 - 1971)
Engineer and Broadcasting Pioneer, born in Stonehaven. First general
manager of the British
Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in 1922. Built the BBC into the
world-respected institution it
remains today. Went on to be MP for Southampton in 1940, and Minister
of Works (1940-42).

Robert William Thomson (1822 - 1873)
Born in Stonehaven, he Invented the vulcanised rubber pneumatic tyre.
He patented his invention
in 1845, which was successfully tested in London, however it was
abandoned because it was
thought too expensive for common use. The tyre was re-invented by John
Dunlop in 1888.
Thomson's invention is commemorated by a plaque in his native
Stonehaven. He also patented
the fountain pen (1849) and a steam traction engine (1867).

Old July 15th 05, 02:21 AM

For everyone, and lurkers who wish to remain anonymous:

I found the following at
http://www.scan.org.uk/knowledgebase...kincardine.htm.
It seems to nail the cancel down definitively, so to speak:

"Kincardineshire was a county on the eastern seaboard of Scotland. The
county was sometimes referred to as 'the Mearns' and included the
burghs of Banchory, Inverbervie, Laurencekirk and Stonehaven.
Kincardine County Council was established by the Local Government
(Scotland) Act, 1889, taking over powers from the Commissioners of
Supply, County Road Trust, and other local authorities. The County
Council was abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act,
1973, and the former county became part of Grampian Region. In 1995
Grampian Regional Council was abolished and the area which constituted
the former county of Kincardine is now in the present local authority
area of Aberdeenshire Council.

Bob