Mont Blanc Chopin Fountain pen

Old October 30th 04, 04:22 PM
Jimmy Tom

What do you mean by 'most'? Handel is not considered an English
composer at all and Chopin is certainly not considered to be French.
Neither is Stranvinsky considered to be French.

I dunno, it was just something that I had heard, on both counts. Hey
these can be huge misconceptions, I don't know. I know that it's
been mentioned on CBC radio. I did scoff at the prospect of
Stravinsky being considered French, just because that's where he
ended up after fleeing Russia.

Okay, I remembered the thing about Handel. It was on account of the
librettos of a goodly number of his oratorios having been in English, and
that he was recognized in both Germany and England as being a 'great
composer'. Again, this could be a huge misconception.

Cheers,
Jimmy.

Old October 30th 04, 07:31 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jimmy Tom
writes
What do you mean by 'most'? Handel is not considered an English
composer at all and Chopin is certainly not considered to be French.
Neither is Stranvinsky considered to be French.

I dunno, it was just something that I had heard, on both counts. Hey
these can be huge misconceptions, I don't know. I know that it's
been mentioned on CBC radio. I did scoff at the prospect of
Stravinsky being considered French, just because that's where he
ended up after fleeing Russia.

Okay, I remembered the thing about Handel. It was on account of the
librettos of a goodly number of his oratorios having been in English, and
that he was recognized in both Germany and England as being a 'great
composer'. Again, this could be a huge misconception.

Cheers,
Jimmy.

Do you mean the possibility that he was considered English or that he
was considered a great composer, or both? He did spend a lot of time
here and was a huge favourite of the king to boot. However, we are now
off topic and as I don't recall a pen named after Handel, I shall cease
to comment further
--
June Hughes
Old October 30th 04, 09:23 PM
Jimmy Tom

Do you mean the possibility that he was considered English or that he
was considered a great composer, or both? He did spend a lot of time
here and was a huge favourite of the king to boot.

The former. But then, I'm no expert on Handel either.

Jimmy.

Old October 30th 04, 10:18 PM
BL

Jimmy Tom wrote:

The former. But then, I'm no expert on Handel
either.

Jimmy... Get a handle on it, will ya? -- B)

Old October 31st 04, 01:23 PM
Jimmy Tom

LOL! Yeah yeah. Surely I over-reacted! Mea culpa, B-a-D. D

Gym-E.

Old November 1st 04, 04:37 AM
Bozack

Hey Jimmy,

Tried getting ahold of you a while back but you must have gotten a new email
account, you gave me the info on getting that chopin deal a while back and I
being the idiot I am (easily influenced by those in the pen community) sold
it and regretted it....just wanted to let you know my wife got it for me
again as a wedding gift and now I am looking to get a mozart and a 146 to
compliment it...had a Pelikan 605 but just sold that with the hopes of
possibly getting a Chicago...

catch ya around.
"Jimmy Tom" wrote in message
Hi Gideon,

Depends which Meisterstuck model you are comparing to. The closest match
is
the 144, since both are cartridge converter pens. The Frederic Chopin
145 -- is a slightly bigger pen. The barrel is sturdier and, I believe,
weighted down with weights inside whereas the 144 is just the hollow rode
of
'precious resin'. The 144 barrel is prone to cracking, wereas the 145 is
lot more robust. Oh, one other significant difference is that that 145
cap
is screwed on, whereas the 144 is just a slip/clutch cap.

Lastly, your Frederick Chopin is a special edition 145, which comes with a
music CD. Being that I'm more of an Erik Satie fan as far as French
composers (especially ones who write mostly for piano), I haven't listed
mine yet. |

The larger 146 and much larger 149 are piston fillers only. The 147, the
"traveller" version of the 147 is a cartridge/converter filler, but
otherwise has the same form factor as the 146.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jimmy.

Gideon wrote:
Hi, I just got a Mont Blanc Chopin Fountain pen. Does anybody know any
physical or mechanical differences between this pen and the normal
Mont Blanc meisterstuck fountain pens? From what I can see, they look
exactly the same. Also has anyone had any experience with this pen?

Thanks,
Gideon

Old November 5th 04, 02:35 AM
Jimmy Tom

Matthew? 'Zat you? Wow, cool! I'd wondered what had happened with you.
Are you still on Pentrace, too?

I've been hanging out on the Yahoo Group FountainPenCollecting, and Zoss now
and again, and Pentrace as well.

I'm glad that you finally got yourself a Chopin. Don't worry about being
influenced by the pen community. It isn't all bad -- not by a long shot.

Good luck on the pen quest. It's quite a blast, eh?

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Jimmy Tom" wrote in message
Hi Gideon,

Depends which Meisterstuck model you are comparing to. The closest
match is
the 144, since both are cartridge converter pens. The Frederic
Chopin 145 -- is a slightly bigger pen. The barrel is sturdier and,
I believe, weighted down with weights inside whereas the 144 is just
the hollow rode of
'precious resin'. The 144 barrel is prone to cracking, wereas the
145 is a
lot more robust. Oh, one other significant difference is that that
145 cap
is screwed on, whereas the 144 is just a slip/clutch cap.

Lastly, your Frederick Chopin is a special edition 145, which comes
with a music CD. Being that I'm more of an Erik Satie fan as far as
French composers (especially ones who write mostly for piano), I
haven't listed to

Old November 6th 04, 01:00 PM
Bozack

Hey Jimmy, that was me

I tried using your old address however it bounced, was amazed you were still
around when I saw your name and just had to write something given the whole
situation with my previous pen. And yes I am still on Pentrace and have been
posting there for a while, also on ramblingsnail.net.

With the Chopin that was really a shame, the deal was a good one, had I
known then what I know now I would have gotten a few and given them out as
gifts as well as getting a Boheme, but live and learn. I sold that Chopin
for maybe $20 more than I paid if that, went penless for about a year until
my wife bought me another chopin from an authorised dealer in NY at a 20%
off discount (much more than I paid, I still feel bad to this day knowing
she spent that much more) and gave it to me as a wedding gift...it is by far
my favorite pen. I plan on getting a Mozart and a P146 Legrand to compliment
it however my most recent purchase was a Pelikan 605 from Levenger which I
didn't like at all, sold that and am now planning on getting something else,
was considering either a Pelikan 805 with the blue stripped barrel or the
Pelikan Chicago, leaning towards the Chicago seeing as it is limited but I
can only get it with a medium nib...either that or an Aurora 88 or save up
for the Mozart now....but with the new house and all money is not easy to
come by.

Hope all is well with you and I will try to check out that yahoo group....