Chinese medal needs additional translation

Old February 8th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
TheDimeMan[_2_]

Default Chinese medal needs additional translation

I hope someone who reads Chinese will help me.

Please look at the medal and tell me what it says.
www.dewardt.net/uno.html

If anyone has additional information on why the medal was issued and by
whom, I thank you

TheDimeMan

Old February 8th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:59:49 -0500, TheDimeMan wrote:
I hope someone who reads Chinese will help me.

There is a fine point between asking for help, and being a pain in the
ass. Personally, I think you have passed that point.

If anyone has additional information on why the medal was issued and by
whom, I thank you

All of us who have seen this a half-dozen times, thank you for giving it
up. You either have an answer or you won't get one.

Old February 8th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

TheDimeMan wrote:
I hope someone who reads Chinese will help me.

Please look at the medal and tell me what it says.
www.dewardt.net/uno.html

If anyone has additional information on why the medal was issued and by
whom, I thank you

TheDimeMan

The last time I needed something translated from Chinese, I looked up
some of the local Chinese newspapers and went to them directly. You
might try that route.
Old February 9th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
TheDimeMan[_2_]

Default Sorry to have taken up the time of a few lookers or it's better than spam

I'm sorry to have bothered anyone with my inquiries. Numismatics is a hobby
and all of my friends in this interesting field are very obliging. I seek
coin related information on any of the items I have acquired, because if I
can learn the identification of a medal or coin (coins are easy with the
Krause catalogs which are now on my notebook computer), I then check with
the American Numismatic Society database. If they do not have the medal and
it is not just a piece of junk, I donate the medal or item to their
collection. In the past few years, I have sent them seventy-five numismatic
medals, coins and related items. Look up their database and type my middle
name"dewardt" in, as a keyword and you will see scans of many of them or you
can go to my home page of my web site for the link.

If there was a rec.group for serious numismatists it would be great, so the
less interested people that read the rec.collecting.coins group could skip
our postings. The hobby should be fun, so lets keep it light.

TheDimeMan
.. .

Old February 9th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour[_2_]

TheDimeMan wrote:
If there was a rec.group for serious numismatists it would be great,
so the less interested people that read the rec.collecting.coins
group could skip our postings. The hobby should be fun, so lets keep
it light.

You seem to have run afoul of two of the biggest problems on USENET:
Ill-tempered people and the fact that text messages do not convey intent
very well.

When I read your first query, I thought it sounded rude. You didn't
even use the word "please" until the third or fourth posting. However,
I didn't say anything since I assumed your intent was not to be rude.

I only mention it now because you seem to have done it again. I read
your paragraph above as: "Since you guys are a bunch of ill-tempered
buffoons, where can I go to get real answers to my numismatic questions?"

Sorry, I can't help you with that. This newsgroup is an amazing
resource when used carefully. But in order to realize its potential,
you have to be *very* careful what you say and how you say it - and you
have to be willing to repeatedly put up with incredibly rude responses.

Hopefully, this response is not "incredibly rude" - as I was only going
for "mildly rude". :-)

--
Jim Seymour
Old February 9th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Feb 7, 10:06*pm, Dave Hinz wrote:

There is a fine point between asking for help, and being a pain in the
ass. *Personally, I think you have passed that point.

You ought to know Hinz.
There, that's a good fellow, now slither back under your rock.
Old February 9th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave[_8_]

TheDimeMan wrote:
[...]

The issue isn't at all the fact that you asked for serious numismatic
information. The issue is that you have posted the same request many,
many times to the same newsgroup. Get a clue.

/dave

Old February 9th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
TheDimeMan[_2_]

Jim...you are not the least rude. I guess I never had open comments before,
as I've used Rec.collecting.coins group ever since I found it on the
internet ten or more years ago. I did get some nice help from two people
and I thanked them too with a post.. Lots of people have taken a look at
the "item" I can see from the statistics provided by me web host. I quite
often post to alt.binaries.pictures.numismatics and even there we see off
remarks sometimes, but take then in good spirits. Thanks, for you comments,
again.

It still is a fun hobby and I've met many great people along the way, you
included.

Sincerely,

Roger deWardt Lane a.s.k TheDimeMan

Old February 9th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Feb 7, 9:59*pm, "TheDimeMan" wrote:
I hope someone who reads Chinese will help me.

Please look at the medal and tell me what it says.www.dewardt.net/uno.html

Take it to your nearest Chinese restaurant and ask them.
Old March 10th 17, 05:54 AM
florafan florafan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDimeMan[_2_] View Post
I hope someone who reads Chinese will help me.

Please look at the medal and tell me what it says.
www.dewardt.net/uno.html

If anyone has additional information on why the medal was issued and by
whom, I thank you

TheDimeMan
Dear DimeMan, I would like to help out with your translation request, but I didn't find any Chinese text in your linked page. Maybe you have already got your questions solved? I am a Chinese translator and wouldn't mind to help the members translate a few short lines for free.