Old April 24th 09, 03:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

Default How do you hold your pen?

"Bluesea" writes:

Since posting, I've been trying to write using my arm instead of my fingers
and, yes, finger-writing is more tiring. The problem with arm-writing is
that it's sloppy although I expect that to lessen with more practice.

Yes, it gets a lot better with practice, and eventually, I think it gives
a much more consistent feel to ones writing, especially over long periods.

I wonder if the finger-writing came about with the advent of bps and needing
more pressure to fill in those small blanks on forms in triplicate.

I'm not sure about that, but it's a decent theory. I tend to think that
it gets started with bad habits that develop in young children, without
teachers or parents willing to train them otherwise. On the other hand,
with some of the modern scripts, finger writing tends to be more natural
to start with, especially small italic type stuff and block printing
that might be needed on forms.

--
Aaron W. Hsu | http://www.sacrideo.us
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to