Old May 18th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

"Anka" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 18, 7:23?am, Bill Dunkenfield
wrote:
1908 : Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

In a move that seemingly flew in the face of America's founding belief
in the separation of church and state, Congress passed legislation on
this day in 1908 that made the maxim "In God We Trust" an obligatory
element of certain coins. The motto dates back to the early 1860s, when
the Civil War stirred religious feelings throughout the nation.
America's heightened piety manifested itself in many places, including
the treasury department, which received countless letters requesting
that the nation's coins pay some form of tribute to God. Concerned
citizens and religious leaders found a fast friend in Treasury Secretary
Salmon P. Chase, who readily agreed that the "trust of our people in God
should be declared on our national coins." James Pollock, director of
the U.S. Mint at Philadelphia, was charged with devising a suitable
motto. After some key revisions from Chase, Pollock decided upon the
now-familiar "In God We Trust."

http://www.history.com/tdih.do?actio...tegory&id=5869

JAM

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . . ."

No state religion was established. So what's your beef?

I have no beef, but can only summarize what is observable. First, "In God
We Trust" is a false statement, as it does not apply to all 300 million U.S.
citizens. Second, many do not wish the government to speak for them or
represent them with regard to personal, private faith. Finally, there are
multiple interpretations and definitions of Deity, even among those who do
believe in one, that one worldview is no more important than another, true
even if a particular one might be held by a majority. Under these
circumstances, the default value must therefore be zero. You are correct in
saying that IGWT does not establish a state religion, but for the reasons I
have enumerated, it is my opinion that it should not appear on our currency.

James