Old September 21st 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Mateles

Default Scott v Gibbons

Scott devotes everal pages in their U.S. Specialized Catalogue introduction
to illustration of the various grades of centering and to the factors that
need to be considered in pricing, e.g., defects, hinges. Whether one agrees
with their pricing or not, the basis is pretty well covered.

As to what sellers claim to be the grade, that's another story!

Rich Mateles

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:47:47 GMT, (Arthur) found
these
unused words floating about:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:19:09 GMT, Alan wrote:

I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Gibbons actually list the worldwide dealers whose lists they use to make
up
their farcical prices.

I dare say Scott do the same.

I've never seen a Scott catalogue so I wonder: are their prices are as
wide of
the mark as Gibbons'?

Considering that Scutt has gone to pricing only VF copies (two grades
above
the 'normal' stuff found in dealer's shops in reality), yep !!!

Unfortunately, they also do not show what makes a specified condition, so
the general user hasn't a clue how to buy a good, fine or better copy.
I've
seen many Scutt dealers selling off centre, pulled perfs, etc. as VF and
then offer 20% off Scutt. Whoo-pee!