Old March 31st 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default World Coins - Claim of "Finest Known" and PCGS's "Added Value"?

Johnny Doe wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:48:02 -0500, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

In , on 03/30/2009

#3 and finally, I think: If a Morgan dollar had such an obvious
mark on it (the ding at 6:00 on the obverse), would PCGS grade it
as an AU55 with no other clarifying notations?

Yes, if the Morgan dollar was minted in the 17th century.

Hmmm. We're not going to get a logical comment, eh? I didn't think
the question was all that difficult.

Nick, you obviously know that PCGS, et.al., do not deal with
'absolute' grading standards, but vary them according to the era, coin
type & size, method of coining, etc. Issues that would be perfectly
acceptable on a 1793 large cent are reasons to body-bag a Morgan or
any other modern, industry-manufactured coin. Now apply that
differentiation to a taler from the 1600's.

That wasn't so hard, was it?

Nick at least acknowledged your post, but ignored mine, even after I spent
time researching the prices for him. Oh well, I imagine I got into his
killfile somehow.

James