Old April 16th 05, 10:44 PM
RW Julian

Not my day. Meant to say "Genuine vs. Fake" on preceding post!!!!!

RW Julian wrote:

The following Russian 1914 Gangut rouble on eBay is a fake:

The seller has been reported on previous occasions, but eBay, as
usual, did nothing.
This time I am posting photos of the obverse and reverse of a genuine
Gangut rouble
on alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic.

I will be reporting this latest fake to ebay and those who can spot
the differences are
invited to do the same; in that way readers of rcc can see for
themselves if ebay does
anything about this crude fake. As this is not one of the better
counterfeits, most readers
should have little trouble in seeing several differences. One of these
fakes, however, is
reliably reported to have been sold to a Moscow collector for $3,000.
The genuine original
is a rare coin and one in proof condition just sold yesterday in a
Moscow auction for $9,000.

The seller of this fake also has two other Russian roubles for sale
but these are common and
appear to be genuine. He claims that the 1914 Gangut rouble comes from
his wife's
grandmother's estate, a nice touch but highly unlikely. He also notes
that all sales are final
and the coin cannot be returned.

RW Julian