Old December 12th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
coinsusa

Default Can anyone explain what this guy means by "the recent rash of certification number thefts"?

Hi Bill,

What he is talking about is the hijacking of the certification
serial number for the fradulent entry into a 'Registry Set'. This will
eliminate the bothersome expense of having to actually own the coin in
the registry as well as cause a load of grief for the new owner who
tries to enter it to improve their set. I've seen several other
auctions do this, but it is not common. Usually the serial number is
blocked when a dealer has multiple coins to sell and is using a stock
picture, and he doesn't want a lot of noise about 'this isn't the same
pcgs MS69 bullion coin you had in the picture.'
This picture in this particular auction left the barcode intact,
which could be scanned for the serial number. A bit of work, but you
know how some people are.
Although I have had some sets that would rank near the top, I don't
enter my completed coin series in the registries. I learned long ago
that no matter how big, good, strong, fast, smart, expensive or
whatever... there is always someone just around the corner that can top
you. Seems to me that a lot of the folks with the registry sets are
just compensating...;-)

Check you later...

On Dec 11, 7:38 pm, "Bill Krummel" wrote:
"GregW" wrote in messagenews:6icrn2dk9lla4j1353ea6c5ot3obn5do1c@4ax .com...

I haven't heard of this and I am just wondering what it means. Are
people creating their own PCGS slabs now?

http://item.express.ebay.com/PCGS-MS...E-Dollar_W...I have no clue as to what the seller fears. I have not heard of any "recent

rash of certification number thefts" nor do I know what gain could be had
from "stealing" certification numbers from auction photo images. It seems
to me that if someone wanted images of PCGS certification numbers, the
internet would be full of them.

Bill