Old February 28th 05, 07:56 PM
Roger Smith

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any experience and suggestions on how to better scan
in and process old stamp collecting newspapers for the web?

Questions:

a. What dpi resolution is needed for decent scans of 6 point text? (Old
newspapers use smaller type)

b. What is the best way to process the grayscale image down from 256
shades to monochrome?

c. Is decent quality OCR possible on a gray background newsprint 6
point text at anything below 300 dpi?

d. What is the best way to scan in pages larger than your scanner
(e.g., 11x13 inches on an 8.5x11 inch flatbed scanner)?

e. Is there a better way to get straight scans? I line up the edge of
the paper with the edge of the scanner glass and close the lid but keep
getting scans tilted. This is troublesome because old newspapers are
usually not printed exactly straight horizontally or vertically due to
bending of the paper during printing.

For example, I processed a public domain 1911 issue of Meekel's Weekly
Stamp News as follows:

You seem to be aware of the copyright issue, since publishers are likely to
be on to you like the proverbial ton of bricks if you place anything still
in copyright on the web without permission.

Best of luck, Roger