Old November 5th 03, 04:55 AM
TC

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:42:27 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

I have to wonder sometimes if there is a future. Here in Rochester it
has been very rare for anything philatelic to ever get mentioned in the news
media. The one exception has been the RPA annual show, but even that is a
quick soundbite that you could miss if you happened to sneeze at that
moment.
I offered to the local newspaper, the Democrat & Chronicle, to write
for them a short weekly stamp collecting feature. For free no less! Sorry,
not interested. I can remember as a boy the Sunday newspaper had a regular
stamp feature; part "how-to" and part new issues news. Haven't seen
anything like that since.
When I lived in Hong Kong the South China Daily Post had a regular
stamp feature, sometimes several times a week.
Kids, or anyone else for that matter, will not be attracted to our
hobby if they never hear about it. Like lemmings people at the post office
buy the "flag & whatever" stamp offered by clerks who seem brainwashed that
the commemoratives are "collectables".
Could any of the following promote our hobby?:
local stamp clubs sponsor school stamp club activities
PO clerks offer commemoratives to customers
newspaper philatelic features
organize stamp clubs in various civic groups, etc.
work with boy and girls scouts
there's probably more I'm sure.
Dave (it was a nasty rainy day... affected my mood?)

You might want to make the offer to a local weekly paper.
They pay little but you can get in more easily.
Guess what... research shows they are read
and read more than the big daily papers.

Blair