Old June 8th 11, 11:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

Default Removing hinges

On 06/08/2011 07:19 AM, John Mycroft wrote:
The best thing to do with your stamps once they're soaked off the paper
is to put them in a drying book (most dealers and Subway etc stock them)
to dry. They'll dry flat and not have the wrinkles you get from paper
towel. A large drying book will dry about 1000 stamps a day and you can
use it over and over again (though it will eventually get grubby from
the various muck that is on the face of most used stamps). I use Desert
Magic drying books though I'm sure there are others. You could probably
make one yourself, too - a sheet of flexible plastic to put the stamp
glue side down on and a couple of sheets of white blotting paper to put
on top of the stamps. Put the whole lot under a phone book and voila -
a load of dry stamps.

As for the debate on hinged or unhinged mint, first off, they're your
stamps so put them in your album however you like - it'll be the person
who sells the collection who will suffer financially. I don't see too
much point putting a 2 cent stamp in a 10 cent mount. A $1,000 stamp is
a different matter entirely.

Cheers - John Mycroft

Thanks John, I'm getting started slowly, lots going on and then theres
the 'honey-do-list'. I'm still curious though as to the best way to
remove the old hinges from the stamps in the other book.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C