Old May 23rd 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Default Removing hinges

On 5/23/2011 10:45 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Correct, but this is a -=returning=- collector who may not yet know the
fetish of NH material and the 'loss' of 'value' by hinging.

ONE hinged in a page or 'set' of otherwise NH will have the dealer heavily
discounting the whole.

So if I have a NH set, I should use mounts for the whole set and not
just the high values. Thanks, I had not thought of that. I have not
directly bought single NH sets in years, but I have a few of more than
minimal value that were mixed in with other stuff and that I have not
yet added to my albums. That is partly because I do not have the mounts
even for the high values, have have lots of used/hinged stuff to work
with. Perhaps I should most NH material of any value separate in a stock
book. Scattered plastic mounts on predominately hinged pages do not look
all that good.

Terry