Old July 11th 03, 03:59 PM
Tim Doyle

"Mike Berro" wrote in message et...
I discuss Halperin's ARC on my website (proofs part two), reprinted here by
permission:

There's an interesting story behind this book. James L. Halperin is an
expert numismatist, and co-owns a publishing company that published books
about coins. This is his first novel, and he self-published it (by Ivy
Press) in hardcover, reportedly in a run of 12,000 copies, for a cover price
of $22. It garnered a fair amount of attention online (I was one of the
first to mention it on the newsgroups), and Del Rey decided to buy it and
publish it themselves, which they did so for $24 each. I presume it sold
well, as Del Rey also published his second book. In this case, since Del Rey
had bought all of the remaining Ivy Press hardcovers, for the advance
reading copies they simply printed up some new dust jackets (glossy like
ordinary ones), and wrapped them around the Ivy Press books, and also
razored out the title/copyright page. If you didn't remove the DJ, you
wouldn't notice the it. This is the first and only such example I've found.

---Mike
http://www.booktouronline.com

In reading this thread, I remembered seeing a copy of Halperin's "The
Truth Machine" in a box lot of books I picked up several months ago. I
tracked it down last night, and was surprised to see that it is the
original Ivy Press edition, with survey card laid in, and signed by
the author on the ffep. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Regards, Tim