Old July 10th 03, 12:54 PM
William M. Klimon

"Mike Berro" wrote in message
t...

There's an interesting story behind this book. James L. Halperin is an
expert numismatist, and co-owns a publishing company that published books
about coins. This is his first novel, and he self-published it (by Ivy
Press) in hardcover, reportedly in a run of 12,000 copies, for a cover

price
of $22. It garnered a fair amount of attention online (I was one of the
first to mention it on the newsgroups), and Del Rey decided to buy it and
publish it themselves, which they did so for $24 each. I presume it sold
well, as Del Rey also published his second book. In this case, since Del

Rey
had bought all of the remaining Ivy Press hardcovers, for the advance
reading copies they simply printed up some new dust jackets (glossy like
ordinary ones), and wrapped them around the Ivy Press books, and also
razored out the title/copyright page. If you didn't remove the DJ, you
wouldn't notice the it. This is the first and only such example I've

found.

Thanks, Mike. I see the cancel stub now and the imprint Ivy Press on the
spine.

This reminds me: In the late 1990s, Roman Catholic Books, a Colorado reprint
house, republished Eugenio Zolli's autobiography *Before the Dawn* (orig.
ed. New York: Sheed and Ward, 1954). Zolli had been the chief rabbi of Rome
and converted to Catholicism after WWII. RCB reprinted the book with the
rather pedestrian title *Why I Became a Catholic*. Friends of mine who are
interested in Zolli and objected to the new title bought up RCB's stock,
cancelled the title page and replaced it with a new one with the old title
and had new d.j.s printed. They are selling it still.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com