Old April 19th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Cueta~ A broad canvas.

Perhaps another important reason to remember Henry,
was the introduction to Madeira from Crete of the Malvoisie grape.
from which those delicious dessert wines of Madeira are made
Apologies for the mis-spelling of Ceuta
I pronounce it rightly or wrongly as "Quaita" hence the source of my error.

I'd suggest you seek out this book by JH Parry, it has 3 full chapters on
the Portuguese from the crusades. Fantastic and lucid explanations
of Henry's exploration down the West Coast of Africa. Riveting stuff.

Very neat... Henry was remembered on a series of stamps issued in
1938-1939, throughout the colonies. Only 1 design in the series of
stamps, it was an omnibus of Vasco da Gama, Henry and others. No
doubt to spur on colonialist ties during what will be WWII.

Thanks for the post!