Old November 1st 03, 04:06 AM
Padraic Brown

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:58:57 -0500, Bruce Remick
wrote:

Bob Flaminio wrote:

bob peterson wrote:
2. No spaces in the cash register for them for most retailers.

This is why those who advocate $2 bills also need to get on the dollar
coin and cent elimination bandwagons. If we want to get these
instruments into use, we need to shift the cash register till a little.

Right now most 5-slot cash registers are filled thusly:

Small row -- Cents; Nickels; Dimes; Quarters; Paper Clips
Big row -- Dollars; Fives; Tens; Twenties; Checks

It is my proposition that a cheaper and more efficient US monetary
system can be implemented like this:

Small row -- Nickels; Dimes; Quarters; Sackies; Paper Clips
Big row -- Twos; Fives; Tens; Twenties; Checks

Don't forget-- even if the dollar bill and cent were no longer made,
there would be tons of them out there and they would still be
spendable.

Yes, but while all those pennies will never die (except the crappy
zinckies which will eventually decay into a pile of whitish yuck); the
dollar notes would within a couple years disintegrate into nothing but
pure diznee dollars!

Stores could also post signs like "no pennies" or "please take out
pennies!" Anything to be rid of them.

Consumers probably would still use the existing $1 bills as
long as they remained in circulation, so register drawers would still
have to accommodate them.

Not at all. Just slip them under the cash drawer, along with the 50s
and 100s.

Pennies would eventually go from kitchen jars
to banks and then taxpayers would pay to have them stored somewhere
indefinitely.

A smart government would realise that they could take 15 or 20c of old
pennies, melt them and mint them into brand spankin new diznee
dollars. They should just plain melt the zinckies into oblivion.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.