Old March 9th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Remainder Marks?

On 3/9/2013 9:40 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"SpanishMill" wrote in message

Did publishers remainder mark paperbacks from the '50's???

I'm looking at Clarke 1958 The Deep Range, Signet 1st ed. with what
looks like red/orange remainder spray on the bottom only.

This seems unlikely. Book dealers I knew in the 1960s told
me those publishers with any credit system for remainders
required that cover pages be torn off and returned (but few
publishers offered credit for unsold paperbacks.)

Yes, I had forgotten about the torn off covers, but I have seen quite a
few. It makes the modern remainder mark look quite innocuous.

Francis A. Miniter