Old October 7th 04, 05:05 AM
Rein Bakhuizen van den Brink

dear Rodney,

my impression was that at least the comb-perf-look-alike as used for
coils was made by Pemara, that SNP has usd at least 3 different die-cut
among them the 'pointed teeths' and 2 or 3 different 'rounded teeths [or sinoid
as I used to call them]. I agree that last part is the hardest to discern...

groetjes, Rein

On 7 Oct 2004 09:34:37 +, "Rodney" wrote:

In my "kwik vu" series in the future, I shall adopt the following.

There may be just 2 types of issues "gummed" or "self adhesive"

The default perf on the self adhesive ( I call it "ps") will be assumed SNP
In the instance of the perf style changing, I shall add the quote "ps pem"
to indicate Pemara production, the company that produces the sharper defined
corner perfs.

Elaboration:
The differences in the die cuts are due to two different printers
producing the self-adhesives.
Each printer has their own die cutters for the stamps.

· SNP (formerly known as Snaprint) has been the
primary supplier of both booklets and rolls, and you will find
that their die cut tends to have rounded corners and more
pointed perfs with a size of around 11½.
(I refer to these as "crowned corners")

· The Pemara die cut has more clearly defined corners
and sharper, more square-cut perfs with a size of around 13.
(In a single stamp it can be rather difficult distinguishing the Pemara
die cut from a normal sheet stamp.) Pemara has been a secondary
printer when SNP have been unable meet demand. Pemara have
generally supplied rolls, but I believe that they have been producing
some booklets to meet Australia Post needs.

.