Old October 7th 10, 06:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Vanishing Point Trap Door Mechanism

"Shanks" wrote in message
On 30/09/2010 20:44, Alan J wrote:
"Shanks" wrote in message
Is the nib supposed to actually touch the trap door on using the
retraction mechanism ?

I had a close look at mine, and I don't think the nib does touch the
trap-door.
My guess is that the thin shoulder of the nib unit actuates the
trap-door, but I haven't disassembled the pen.

Mine looks like it touches and I notice that some people report leaks on
or near the trap door. Perhaps the two are related. Can any other VP
owners comment?

It doesn't make sense that the nib would touch the door because repeated
contact would ruin the nib.

Since it appears really close, I looked at mine with an LED flashlight and a
5x magnifier. It doesn't touch; the feed underneath the nib pressures the
door open.

When I removed the nib unit and examined it, there's a worn spot where it's
rubbing against the door. The nib itself doesn't have comparable marks.

Leaks on or near the trap door? Are people really peering into the barrel to
see if there's ink up there on the door or not? Perhaps I don't understand
the situation. It sounds to me like those unreasonably fastidious people who
complain about nib creep. As long as ink isn't dripping onto paper or
ruining clothing, it isn't a problem and shouldn't be an issue.

OTOH, if the pen is leaking, I'm not sure why the nib touching the doorway
would have anything to do with it anymore than the feed touching the doorway
since I can get ink on my finger from either.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.