Old August 20th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

Default Fake Greek Coin sold on eBay

"Dave Welsh" wrote in message
An eBay auction (closed August 4) sold a Macedonian tetradrachm,
positively
identified as a fake by Cliff Laubstein, who reported this on the Coin
Forgery Discussion List (CFDL):

I don't believe everything I read on that forum, but in this case I

think
he
is correct.

Here is a link to the auction:

It sure looks real to me. That's why I have no business bidding on such
items. Whose fault would it have been, therefore, had I bid and won?

As I have been pointing out, it would have been eBay's fault. eBay should
not allow fakes to be sold, or other fraudulent activity that could be
prevented with reasonable precautions.

The Government should not allow eBay to operate a venue that is polluted by
ongoing criminal activity. The extent of fraud on eBay is massive.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com