Old May 22nd 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default OT - Firefox

Keeping this strictly as having to do with Firefox being run in a Win OS:

One financial institution recently made a big deal about their enhanced
internet security and seems to have cozied up to Symantec to demonstrate
their concerns. The root cause appears to be that a good deal of
users don't even use anti-virus.

Anyway, so they tout a special access to super duper symantec who will
graciously perform a "security scan" especially for their customers in
addition to offer special pricing. The "security scan" is touted to
test "computer vulnerability to online threats".

On my way in, I didn't allow all the cookies - and got a message to the
effect that "IE 5.0 or higher is required". Having seen this bugaboo
before being related somehow to the cookie rejection - odd how super
duper symantec can't just say, "no cookies no action" or suggest how to
manipulate the cookies in IE - I clear and re-enter allowing cookies for
the session and end up being offered the exact same scan you can find below.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ice/index.html

If you run the scan from inside Firefox MY results indicate, aside from
symantec interpreting router and beyond behavior for computer behavior,
that some checks don't complete because they require IE 5.0 or greater.

Does this mean that Symantec is ignoring Firefox users (and all other
browser users) and ignoring the possibility of browser exploits - and
more importantly, are there valid security concerns that a user may
need to know about?

What relevance does this have considering Firefox incapabilities inside
some financial (and other) sites - particularly the areas indicated as
"SECURE"?

--
JMark