Old June 2nd 09, 09:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

Default When do I change ?

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:34:22 -0700, the following words by jim were
discovered:

Hello Group:

I have been a "STAMP COLLECTOR" or ages, or can I say since 1955 with a
small book and plenty of stamps. Now I am 61 years old and I ask myself
if I am a STAMP COLLECTOR or STAMP ACCUMULATOR. I have my interests of
my small collection and read this group almost every day and marvel what
you give me. I have a special folder just for sites you have told me
about. I have re-organized my collection, put in new stamps I have found
and much more. But when does a person with my background, become a
PHILATALIST ? Sorry I might of spelled wrong but tell me in simple words
what is the difference of a STAMP COLLECTOR or a PHILATALIST(sP)? Dare
tell me or do I still call myself a STAMP COLLECTOR ?

A "philatelist" is faux-Greek meaning "one who loves that which is
exempted from tax". So, do you love stamps? Then, bingo, you're a
philatelist.

Some make the distinction that a philatelist is a scholar whereas a stamp
collector fills spaces in an album. More often than not, however, I find
that "philatelist" is what one calls oneself when stamp collectors are
mocked. "I'm not a *stamp* *collector*," they cry. "I'm a *philatest*!"

Terms are pointless. Collect because you love it, and naysayers be
damned. :^)
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, MBPC
Trade?: http://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/