Old June 7th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Default ebay policy on fakes and forgeries ... and imitations

"omega45" wrote in message
| the new policy, has stalled bids ... with lots being withdrawn . a
| new requirement - a "Fake handstamp" must be applied to objects prior
| to listing ... to me, this does make sense. devalues items ... and
| is a form of decrimination. neither the FIP or AIEP experts use
| handstamps ... they issue an opinion only ... genuine or not .
| handstamps have been retired .
|
| why is ebay and aps following this policy ? better to relist these
| items, in their own category :
|
| fakes, forgeries, fanatsies and imiatations.
|
| comments welcomed ...

Fakes bought without mark can too easily be resold as non-fakes or
otherwise used to fool somebody -- if not on EBay, then elsewhere. If
being marked devalues items so drastically, then I suspect people were
buying with such intentions.