Old December 6th 03, 06:32 PM
Tom Loepp

Victor et al,
Thanks Victor for your comparison.
I like, as do others, the scanned page. It has the "work of art" feeling that
I was yacking about. The composed page loaded in a few seconds and the scanned
took over 10 seconds. So, in a precious post I have proposed that there are no
rules and entrants can go either way. This leaves it up to the designer. You
will note that many people will see something different with the composed page,
a real shocker when I first saw my website on a pc.
Tom

Victor Manta wrote:

Because the inquiring minds want to know :-) , I have decided to verify the
whole thing on a real case.

So I have scanned an existing album page, at 100 dpi (!), and I have then
composed the same page from scratch. In the composed page I have used the
same images as those displayed by the scanned one, by simply extracting them
from it.

Up to you to judge the results.

The scanned page is at:
http://www.values.ch/Temp/resolution1.htm

and the composed one is at:
http://www.values.ch/Temp/resolution.htm

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
Tom,

snip

There are some technical problems with album pages that are scanned. The
resolution of printers is much higher than that of computer screens. The
properly scanned album pages will produce big scans (that have to be
scrolled and scrolled, in both directions, and will also take more time to
download) or they will be reduced to smaller pages, but with texts that
cannot be anymore read on screens, because they will be too small, and

also
with smaller images. That's why, IMO:

- it is easier to work directly on computers for things that will be

finally
displayed on computer screens (what you see is what others get too)
- we won't have "real" album pages on our screens, but rather Web pages

that
approximate them, by displaying less information and by eventually making
other compromises too.

Actually, this could make the whole thing interesting and challenging

Victor Manta

--
Thomas Loepp

Email: