Old December 6th 03, 06:09 PM
Grandpa

I like the scanned page better in this case because it looks like a
page, taller than it is wide. The other is more of a square than a
rectangular page so it looks somewhat cluttered, stuff is too close
together. It also has an advertizement at the bottom which detracts
from the page. FWIW, my settings are 1024x768.

Victor Manta wrote:

Because the inquiring minds want to know :-) , I have decided to verify the
whole thing on a real case.

So I have scanned an existing album page, at 100 dpi (!), and I have then
composed the same page from scratch. In the composed page I have used the
same images as those displayed by the scanned one, by simply extracting them
from it.

Up to you to judge the results.

The scanned page is at:
http://www.values.ch/Temp/resolution1.htm

and the composed one is at:
http://www.values.ch/Temp/resolution.htm

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

Tom,

snip

There are some technical problems with album pages that are scanned. The
resolution of printers is much higher than that of computer screens. The
properly scanned album pages will produce big scans (that have to be
scrolled and scrolled, in both directions, and will also take more time to
download) or they will be reduced to smaller pages, but with texts that
cannot be anymore read on screens, because they will be too small, and

also

with smaller images. That's why, IMO:

- it is easier to work directly on computers for things that will be

finally

displayed on computer screens (what you see is what others get too)
- we won't have "real" album pages on our screens, but rather Web pages

that

approximate them, by displaying less information and by eventually making
other compromises too.

Actually, this could make the whole thing interesting and challenging

Victor Manta