Old June 2nd 05, 01:25 AM
Bruce Remick

"shreadvector" wrote in message
ups.com...
By the way, do the vending machines have stickers on them indicating
that customers can use the Golden Dollar? Are the coin slots adjusted
open larger than a quarter to allow dollar coins to be inserted? Many
older machines were set to block anything larger than a quarter from
entering and they often had the micro rocker switch set to "$ NO
ACCEPT" instead of "$ ACCEPT".

Why don't the vending machines have 4 coin tubes to accommodate 5c,
10c, 25c and $1 coins and have a bill validator set to accept $2, $5,
$10, and $20 bills and give change in dollar coins? That would help and
probably increase sales quite a bit. How many folks walk away from a
vending machine without making a purchase because all they had was a
$20 they got from the ATM????

How many folks walk up to a vending machine and can dig a dollar coin out of
their pocket? I'd bet you could stop ten people on the street and none would
have a dollar coin on them, whereas at least two thirds would have at least one
dollar bill crisp enough to be fed accepted in a vending machine. (No fair
doing it multiple times. I'm not that daring.) I still can't see these dollar
coins as anything more than Mint-produced tokens, if the only public place they
seem to be found is in some coin-op machines.

Bruce