Old June 21st 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Default Oldest pillar box still in use?

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

OK Thanks Tony,
I am happy with the bronze medal.

"Tony Clayton"
There are several older ones here in the UK.

There is one of the hexagonal Penfold boxes in Buxton opposite the
Opera House, dating from the late 1860's, and near a friend's house
in Milford-on-Sea I have used one with a vertical letter slot - one
of the oldest in the country. dating from 1856-7.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/513783

There are a few even older ones, but I believe most are in postbox collections!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :