Old June 30th 04, 11:18 PM
R. Paul Martin

Default A partial answer to the question of cartridge ink capacity

Ten days ago I posted a message asking about the ink capacity of
cartridges. No answers so far.

Today I had a little project. I'm planning to use Noodler's Black
(waterproof) to make out all checks from now on since it's very
resistant to "washing." I'll use my Sheaffer Triumph Imperial pen in
burgundy for this chore. So I found a mostly empty Sheaffer cartridge
and started cleaning it out.

In the course of this cleaning the cartridge out I found that a one
half cc device filled the Sheaffer cartridge in exactly three tries.
So the Sheaffer cartridges have a 1.5 cc capacity. Since for practical
purposes a cubic centimeter of ink is the same as a milliliter of ink
I can now compare cartridges to bottled ink for Sheaffer at least.

Comparing the Sheaffer cartridges to the short international ones just
by holding one next to the other I suspect that the short
internationals are about 1 ml each.

On line, one store sells the Sheaffer cartridges at 5 for $1.95. So
that's 7.5 ml of ink for $1.95 or 26 cents (US) per ml. The same place
sells a 1.69 ounce bottle of Sheaffer Skrip ink for $5.50. Calling the
bottle 51 ml we get a rate of about 10.8 cents per ml. So the same
thing in bottles is about 11 cents whereas in cartridges it's 26
cents. Yeah, refilling looks good to me.