Old September 15th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default Does Akai Mod Work For Static Problem?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:07:26 -0700, still_trackin
wrote:

Anyone have success in eliminating the static/crackling problem in
Akai/Roberts decks by using the Akai mod? snip

I can't say that it'd work...different configuration, different
circuit.

I also read that the problem could be attributed to a loose ground
wire connected to the screw that holds the head in place. By
tightening the screw the ground wire will then make proper contact and
eliminate the static. snip

A properly grounded head shell in imperative on ANY tape machine. It's
a major cause of "static" noise.

Do either of these procedures really correct the problem? I'd use this
Roberts deck alot more if I could eliminate the crackling! snip

Are you positive it's really triboelectric charge buildup on the tape?
"Crackling" is also a common symptom of a failing capacitor in the
signal path. That's a major problem on cartridge tapes, 8 track being
the worst. I had a Panasonic car deck that wouldn't crackle, but the
static discharge would attempt to launch my woofer cones with a
gigantic "POW" every now and then. After I started treating the
interiors of every cart I'd refurbish with anti-stat spray, I never
had another problem, even in the dry desert climate out here.

BTW....this
deck has a cool after mod, the previous owner had a pause mode added
on using a toggle switch and an extra light that comes on when
engaged! snip

If that simply cuts power to the motor, don't use it for more than a
couple of minutes at a time. It can mess up your pinch roller
bigtime, if it's a rubber one, and may cause a dropout in your tape if
there's any residual magnetism in the capstan shaft. PROPER
degaussing procedures eliminate that risk, but it's still not a good
policy.