Old August 20th 03, 10:39 PM
Ron Lyons

Thank you for your help, Russel. I'll do what you mentioned over the next
little bit and then reply back with how it worked. As for the animation,
I've pretty much given up on that ever working, lol. I'll check out what
you mentioned, is victoryglass the best place to get those replacement
microswitches?

Ron

"Russel Willoughby" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:39:30 GMT, "Ron Lyons"
wrote:

If you put a credit on the machine (which I've done with the free play
switch), everything works fine. You press the number, and the buttons

lock
in. The read in carriage spins at the bottom, but DOESN'T pull/pop any

pins
up. It eventually stops, and sometimes stops as if it's popped the pin

up
(maybe only moves a quarter turn, then stops).

Mandatory maintenance on these Wurlitzers includes:

-- Clean the big selection PCB at the bottom of the mech. Just remove
the whole selector (three allen bolts) and put it on your workbench.
Taking it apart and cleaning it will take you a couple of hours, but
it's not too complicated. I use very fine steel wool to clean the
contacts, followed by rubbing alcohol. Once it's totally clean and
dry, I apply a very thin film of Lubriplate or teflon grease to
protect the contacts from further wear and corrosion. Don't forget to
clean and tension the wipers.

-- Check the override assembly, located to the rear of the magazine
under a small metal cover. Clean and adjust the leaf switch. Often the
moving metal parts are totally gummed up. Use light oil to free them,
and wipe up all excess oil.

-- Check all microswitches. You likely have one or more of that work
intermittently if at all. If in doubt, replace with new. All but the
readout switches are available brand new as exact replacements.

The dirty selection PCB is probably what's causing your machine not to
select, and the override is probably to blame for the magazine not
turning... but there are many other possibilities. If you don't have
one, buy the service manual, and make sure you get the big foldout
schematic. It has simplified schematic diagrams for each step in the
entire operation sequence. These make it much, much easier to
troubleshoot this machine.

Oh, and as for the animation motor... I've seen three or four 3400's,
and none of them had working animation. I didn't even realize until
recently that it had animation at all! The motors seem to get very
noisy and then die, and the rubber belts get worn out. I'd like to see
one that actually works.

Good luck...