Old January 18th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money
Mr. Jaggers

Default FUN hits speed bump

Nick Knight wrote:
In
,
on 01/18/2009 at 07:28 AM, stonej said:

"I really did expect to see weaker prices for coins," said Greg
Rohan, president of Heritage Auctions. "On a scale of 1 to 10, I
expected a 6, was afraid of a 4, but I'd say it was (at least a 7 ½
or even) a solid 8."

It is not surprising if the president of the company puts a positive
spin on things, saying things did not go
well is not the way to build confidence in people using your company
to sell coins.

That was my thinking when I read the original article.

From my personal perspective, for whatever it's worth, it seemed like
every dealer I approached at FUN was offering to discount the marked
prices before I even glanced at anything. I haven't had that kind of
an almost-universal experience before.

I get regular emails from J.J. Teaparty touting their newps. I just got one
earlier today, in which Gail and Liz fess up to a softer market, along with
a notice that their prices have all been reduced in price. I did check a
couple of them that I remembered from the last time I looked at their
inventory, and they were indeed lower by about 10%.

James