Old April 19th 12, 04:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Translation from Hungarian, please

"Terry Reedy" wrote in message
On 4/18/2012 11:22 AM, Pedro wrote:

the Oh so grandious and perfect philatelist Victor Manta could also be
smart enough to use google translate for so sparse words.

How do you know he did not?

The author of "Oh..." doesn't know.

I tried it and the result was not very clear.

UTANPOTLÁSUNK A JÖVÖ HARCAIHOZ error
SZABAD HAZÁBAN BOLDOG IFJUSÁG corrected
YOUTH ACCESS THE FUTURE Struggle
FREE HAPPY YOUTH HAZAN

Please explain 'hazan' in this context and the meaning of the
'translation' in real English.

Obviously, we got the same results and we had then the same questions :-)

Somewhat senseless slogans do not mechanically translate very well.
For instance, Google translates the grammatical but silly slogan
Hot rocker Pedro rocks
to the supposed Hungarian
Hot rocker Pedro sziklák
Real helpful to a Hungarian who does not know English ;-)

A good example, many thanks. The translation of the same into French gives:
Hot bascule roches Pedro. Pierre and Blaire, among others, will surely
appreciate.

For those who are aware of the basic ideas that stand behind Google
Translate, it can be useful (for example by eliminating some typing) but, as
the French maliciously say, * consommer avec modération (consume in
moderation - translated by Google).

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/