Old August 3rd 03, 08:56 AM
Douglas MYALL

If ever there was a posting which deserved an alteration to its subject
line it is this one. It is an agreed courtesy in this NG to include SNA
in a posting on that subject. Or is it considered that humour begins, and
ends, with SNA topics?

Douglas

Victor Manta wrote in article
"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" wrote:

BTW, when something is hard to understand, why nonetheless give an

opinion
on it? ..snip (VM.)

That's not hard to me to understand (T.N.)

Previously you wrote: 'The "homour" for this group is for me hard to
understand (read: it's not funny to me and in my opinion pure waste of

time
to create/read it - sorry). '

I have made the mistake of taking the words of a juror, member of
international FIP stamps contests, too seriously and too "ad literam".
Obviously, I was wrong with this. It is not that you don't understand

this
humor (what you say in the introduction), it is that you just don't like

it,
which supposes a preliminary understanding! Of course, nobody (even I

can
help, because nobody can make everybody happy.

But - are you really serious when you mean that your SNA-halløj
(sorry, Danish word) is funny/humour? I will defend your right to
post/upload etc. SNA-pages until my death (as long as you don't
violate copy rights and keep the secrecy of mails) but that does not
mean that I have to think it's humour. (T.N.)

I seriously mean that many of humor-related or OT posting here are funny
and/or somehow interesting. As boB has written, we cannot permanently

speak
only about stamps, and many of us, the stamp collectors, feel a natural

need
to sometimes "socialize".

I don't know what "your SNA-halløj" means, so I cannot comment on it. I
consider that the usage of a language that is understandable by the
person(s) for whom it is written (and not for just a few "insiders") is

an
elementary courtesy.

I don't need a defense on something that is my right, like on uploading

SNA
pages or other ones, and I have no intention to ask somebody's

permission
for doing that.

You have the right to think anything you wish on them, but I can only

hope
that you will have the honesty of *recusing* yourself as a FIP juror

when
I'll present the SNA site (if and when it will be again possibly) to the
next FIP websites' contest.

After the group has refused your proposal referring to the subject lines

of
postings, you have tried a first diversion by attacking without obvious
reasons SNA's humor. It was obviously a detour for nothing, because this
subject was largely discussed on this NG, and a solution that is

acceptable
for most people here was found already a long time ago.

In your last posting you bring strange insinuations (or maybe personal
attacks, no idea): "as long as you don't violate copy rights and keep

the
secrecy of mails". I'm not sure if you are aware that this sounds like a
serious accusation, because if you are aware, then I have to consider

this
as a somehow strange behavior. I don't know exactly what you have in

mind,
so I can only wonder whether this belongs to RCSD or actually into

personal
mail (in case that you feel somehow personally concerned).

The good question is: have your digressions something to do with your
(refused) demand of changing the subject line accordingly to your

wishes, by
neglecting the Netiquette? IMO, there could be a relationship,

eventually
explained by a personal frustration. There is nothing better to do than

simply accept what others say, and not to digress each time toward

things
that you personally dislike on this NG or at some of its participants.

Finally, if your intention is to bring unnecessary troubles into this
generally peaceful and polite NG, then this is your choice, and your
personal responsibility too.

Victor Manta

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" wrote:

....snip SNA
So you propose to renounce them, so that you (or anyone else) has to:

1. Open the posting
2. Read it
3. Eventually pay for that connection time
4. Observe that the posting it is not stamp related, or has another

subject
5. Close it, usually disappointed

Isn't that obvious? If I have an opinion about something I have to
know what I'm talking about. ("usually disappointed" is your meaning -
not necessarily correct).

Why deleting them? I'm asking, because I just read what interests me,
without deleting anything. Anyway, after a time all postings are

removed.

Not using my newsreader: First all headers only are downloaded. Then I
download the body of postings I would like to read to my computer and
keep them until I delete them. I then just delete the headers of
postings I don't want to read - and they won't show up again next time
I go online (so I save a lot of download time downloading only headers
at first). I have many 5-6 year old postings on MY computer. (There is
plenty of space on my HD)

BTW, when something is hard to understand, why nonetheless give an

opinion
on it? ..snip

That's not hard to me to understand

But - are you really serious when you mean that your SNA-halløj
(sorry, Danish word) is funny/humour? I will defend your right to
post/upload etc. SNA-pages until my death (as long as you don't
violate copy rights and keep the secrecy of mails) but that does not
mean that I have to think it's humour.

Just to mention that an explanation for some of humor is given in the
ng's FAQ and on a website.

It's good to know that I can read somewhere examples of humour so I
can see what is humour and what's not! (I couldn't resist! :-)

J. A. Mc. wrote:

It -is- considered netiquette to alter the header when the

discussion
strays off the original topic.

(Toke
Oh, yes of course - but just adding one or two words which don't
exactly shows what the new thread is about is annoying (to me :-)

I agree, supposedly (by the netiquette site I first read) the header
form should be:
Yyyy yyyyy (was - Xxxxx xxxxx xxx)

Exactly!
--