Old March 29th 16, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Dropping of first class stamps prices, but ...

The US Congress allowed to the USPS in 2014 to surcharge the first class
stamps by 4.3 percent to collect $4.6 billion. This amount will be reached
on April 10, 2016. After this date the price of mailing one ounce letter
will drop from 49 cents to 47 cents. It is for the first time in nearly 97
years that the price of a stamp is set to go down.

"Removing the surcharge and reducing our prices is an irrational outcome
considering the Postal Service's precarious financial condition," said
Postmaster General Megan Brennan in a prepared statement.

She said nothing about the so-called "forever" stamps found in the hands of
the USPS customers, that should somehow protect them against postal rate
increases. But after the April 10 the customers will be able to buy these
stamps cheaper than they paid for them. We see again and again that nothing
is forever.

Victor Manta, PWO

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/