Old July 13th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Dave

Default Large Note Carrying And Folding?

"Coffee's For Closers" wrote in message
g...

Did they just have taller wallets, then? Or was it more common
for people to use a metal money-clip, with the wad of notes
folded in half?

I lived in France in the 60's, and while I was a kid with very little money
of my own, I do remember the notes from the time, and my Dad's wallet. His
wallet was tall enough to hold the then-current bills without a horizontal
fold, and I'm pretty sure it folded in half vertically, like a wallet today
would be. So there was generally not a need to otherwise fold a banknote.

I do see many early notes from France which are folded once in both
directions, into quarters. These are generally some of the *huge* notes,
that were not current when I was there. So my guess is there was a limit to
the size of a wallet one was willing to carry, and at some point the large
notes just got folded before stuffing them in a wallet.

I've always liked the different sized notes that many countries use. It
makes them more interesting, as well as easier to sort through when standing
at the cash register.

Dave